AR-15 Sear Block Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/21/02 5:02:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Scramatic of a AR-15
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I need a scramatic of an AR-15 Match Target rifle. I just purchased one and there is a conical pin missing from above the safe fire selector. In the SP1 and H-Bar's I compared it to do not have this feature. This conical pin and the internal part that looks like a sear block is missing. This part that I see on the weapons in our armory are the same and the missing piece is marked "COLT" I need to know what this part is and it's function. Thanks.I showed it to an ex-sniper and he said he never saw an AR-15 with this feature.
    I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/21/02 6:28:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Scramatic of a AR-15
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It sounds like the Colt useless auto-sear block has been removed from the rifle, or perhaps never installed?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/21/02 6:40:49 pm)
    Someone yanked it, if it was drilled for it, it didn`t leave the factory without it. SKIMATIC.....ain`t it???? LTS

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/21/02 8:43:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Scramatic of a AR-15
    Schematic. Yep, someone has yanked the sear block. Newest rifles just leave that part of the receiver unmilled and dont have a seperate block.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/21/02 8:45:07 pm)
    ....or maybe schematic?

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/22/02 7:24:39 am)
    So where is the freakin Skum -matic! Geeeeeeeeeeeesh!
    I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/22/02 8:10:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    There are several, all different depending on the manufacturer of rifle. Here's Bushmaster:

Bushmaster schematic
    The sear block that Colt installed in their rifles prevented the installation of auto-sear kits. Colt now simply does not mill out that area of the lower receiver instead of using a separate part.

www.apaxenterprises.com

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/22/02 8:33:30 am)
    Doc Can you obtain the parts and put this one back the way it was suspose to be

BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/22/02 8:52:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Sure.

www.apaxenterprises.com

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/22/02 9:53:04 am)

Quote:
    Can you obtain the parts and put this one back the way it was suspose to be

I suppose you can acquire that block, but why in the world would you want to??? It serves no useful purpose, and makes working in the lower a PITA! Try installing a retro-fit trigger with that damned block in there. It's possible, but it's just more work for no reason. Colt put the block in as a voluntary thing, there was never a legal reason for it.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/22/02 11:48:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Correct, in order to put a match trigger group in that
    receiver the blocking bar needed to be removed, so
    no need to put it back in, the AR was never meant for
    it in the first place. If you have a hole there then just
    pin it.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/22/02 12:57:00 pm)
    ------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a hole there then just
    pin it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    That's all I want to do any way is plug the hole. Thanks guys! This makes me feel a little more comfortable! One co-worker said something to the effect if I get caught with this weapon and it appears to have been altered with the intent to convert it to ful auto, where it is or would ever be, I'm in deep Poooooo with BATF! No questions asked! And I sutre don't want to loose the gun over a mistake or misunderstanding of Federal law!

Doc, Please order one of those pins if you don't already have one in stock!

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 6/22/02 2:02:39 pm