The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody ever tried one of these 4 reticle red/green reflex sights?

I have my list together for finishing my AR build and was thinking of setting it up with a see through rail mount for the carry handle that could have one of these on it.

My finished cost of the build looks like it will be $530 total (without gadgets like a reflex sight) so I'm under my target cost of $550. I'm not so certain about adding a see through rail to a carry handle either. I like iron sights anyway.

By the way, I stumbled across BCG's for $99.95 if anyone is looking for one.
Please just don't buy all the stock before I can order one in two weeks :eek:

I haven't added the cost of a sling yet and I've found a couple other small cost items I may add - one is a plug for the pistol grip. I can then use the empty space in the grip to store some little stuff like strike on your jeans matches.

I suppose in the long run the rifle build will cost around $650-$700 if I decide to customize it with stuff like a light for night, an optic or whatever, but, I will start with the basics.

Thanks everyone for all the input you have provided to me since I started this project - and THANK YOU Dan for that buttstock! All this back breaking potato harvesting should get me enough cash extra to finish my rifle :) - it's been a 9 month project so far.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I like the Trijicon SRS.. Small, compact, no parallax, no magnification so you can co witness if you have a flat top set up, and best of all, no batteries to go dead..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Mine as well. Another of my go to sights for an AR is the Aimpoint CompML3. In fact I think I like it a bit more than the SRS trijicon.

·
Premium Member
13,939 Posts
Always favored aperture rear sights - raised on Garands and M1 Carbines and such, but I have scoped (Burris 2x7) the HBAR simply because it's capable of shooting accurately a lot further than my near 70 year old eyes can see accurately. That said, and at the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, I've never trusted sporting optics that require batteries. Humbug, etc.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I learned that lesson several times over with scopes. My motto now is "buy once cry once".. if you consider all the money Ive spent on scopes trying to save money and finally in the end still having to buy an 1800 dollar piece of glass to get exactly what I needed, I would have been well ahead to have just purchased the 1800 dollar scope to start with. BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE..

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I learned that lesson several times over with scopes. My motto now is "buy once cry once".. if you consider all the money Ive spent on scopes trying to save money and finally in the end still having to buy an 1800 dollar piece of glass to get exactly what I needed, I would have been well ahead to have just purchased the 1800 dollar scope to start with. BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE..
:yeahthat:

I could not agree more with this statement!

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thing is that these reflex sights aren't scopes and I don't want to put a scope on the AR. There are dozens of these out there: Aimshot HG Pro, Sightmark Ultrashot, Bushnell First Strike and Trijicon has several models just to name a few. Some of these sights would cost me more than my entire rifle and I am certainly not going to lay out that kind of cash for one.

I'm curious if anyone has used any of these types of sights and what their thoughts are.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I agree with what everyone else is saying about paying for quality. The old adage, 'you get what you pay for', is true. I had a piece of crap cheap reflex on my AR until I could afford an Eotech. The reflex would work for a while, then would cut off due to the mild recoil. I gave the reflex away to a friend who put it on a .22 where it did the same thing. Save up and get a quality optic.
You mentioned possibly buying a plug for the opening in the bottom of the grip. I tried one of those that is held in place by friction and it kept falling out. I ended up putting a MIAD grip on my AR. It has a plug that snaps into place, so it isn't coming out until you want it to. It also has four different sized backstraps, so you can better fit the pistol grip to your preference. Seems like it was about 30 bucks or so.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Will if you aren't willing to pony up the dough for a quality optic then youre best served to just stick with the iron sights. I promise you you will be throwing your money down the toilet if you opt for one of the cheapy red dot sights they sell at walmart. They are marginal on a .22LR, stick it on an AR and hit the range and see how long they hold zero. They are fragile at best and the mounts aren't designed for repeated on and off the gun and the adjustments aren't designed for the repeated adjusting that comes with on and off the gun.

Again this is just my experiences speaking. If youre looking for someone to tell you the cheap reflex sights are just as good as the rest, wait awhile until someone comes along that has several of them on several cheap guns that he rarely takes out and shoots.

I promise you, they aren't worth it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.