The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
9,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question??? The first Bushmaster Carbon AR-15 that I bought this week had a horrible trigger. The one that I purchased today has a decent trigger and I am sure that after I tear it down and put a little SBGO on it and then shoot it some that it will get better. However, is it possible to smoothen it up a little without purchasing a Timney trigger?

· Registered
6,137 Posts
There are lots of good aftermarket AR triggers other than the Timney. If you go the replacement route, do some research before you order something.

And yes, basically any factory trigger can be improved at least a bit. But I am not competent to give advice on how to do so, so you'll have to wait for one of the 'smiths.

· Registered
500 Posts
Let me know what you think of the carbon. A couple of friends have asked me about it but I have no experience with the rifle.
The only carbon I have is a Browning Buckmark Carbon Rifle.... just 22lr

· Registered
19,684 Posts
Rock River Arms has a great 3.5 lb two stage match trigger that can be bought for well under 100 bucks if you look around a bit

CMMG also has a very nice trigger kit for around 100 bucks I think

I would say be very careful with working on a mil spec trigger by polishing on it.

you can take it too far and ruin your trigger

· Registered
1,223 Posts
When I put together my lower I used a RRA LPK with the single stage trigger and all the contact surfaces of the the trigger and fire control group were highly polished and smooth as a baby's butt. As a result the trigger pull is silky smooth.

I wouldn't recommend grinding anything, but you could get a polish wheel for your Dremel tool and use some Flitz on the trigger surface to make sure they're nice & smooth without any burrs.

Other than that, you can install a Geissele Trigger in it, but they're spendy at around $210

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Geissele-AR15-Super-Semi-Automatic-Trigger-p/geissele%20ssa%20trigger%20spin.htm

Also, the RRA two-stage trigger is superior and greatly favored by many AR shooters and less costly.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/RRA_Two_Stage_Match_Trigger_Kit_AR0093NMK_p/rra-ar0093nmk.htm

GOOD SHOOTING!!! :cool:

· Registered
2,098 Posts
I keep hearing about those Gisselles also, but the one for the Scar is like almost $300; haven't bought one yet. I'm so used to hunting with the Stock AR triggers, if I ever get an after market trigger, it might be a rebirth for me.

· Premium Member
12,962 Posts
As you know, I have put a timney in one of my ARs already and have just ordered another for my bushy. Prior to replacing my first trigger, I took my stock trigger apart and spent a little time polishing and then thought I could tweak the spring to make it a little weaker and I actually over did it. I am not a gunsmith by any means but have always tinkered with my own stuff for years. I can tell you that a trigger is probably not the best place to tinker if you dont really know your stuff. Anyhow, what happened to me is I made the trigger too light. It would actually fail to hit hard enough half the time. But, I was happy about it because once I installed the timney, I couldnt believe just how much better it made me shoot. There may be others out there cheaper and plenty of other options but I can vogue for the timneys. I am not sorry I spent the money.

G

·
I will only give up my RRA 2 stage for a Jewell Trigger.

I have a Timney on my Remmy 700 and love it. But, I have shot a Timney trigger AR and it ain't got nuthin on my RRA 2 stage.

· Premium Member
12,962 Posts
Got my new Timney in for my Bushy and installed it yesterday. Its a 3lb trigger. I absolutely love it. No regrets.

· Premium Member
12,962 Posts
My trigger pull before was TERRIBLE. I dont have a scale but this bushmaster had the worst trigger of any AR I own. I was going to work on it some, like I did the last one :eek: but I thought better of that and decided to get the timney and I am glad I did. Some of my ARs came stock with decent triggers I can live with just fine. I just couldnt live with this one.

· Registered
334 Posts
Bushmaster and others occasionally seem to be a bit rushed in their production processes and their final QC. I have found that lightly touchy up the rough mating sear surfaces with either 1,000 to 1,500 grit emery paper on a piece of smooth glass plate or a small ultra hard (black or translucent white) oil stone improves the smoothness of the sear bearing surfaces and thus removes a lot of the felt factory trigger pull granularity. Under no circumstances alter any of the sear engagement angles as doing so is a recipe for disaster. When properly done the actual trigger pull weight doesn't change, but often the increase in the trigger pull smoothness makes it seem so. If you are looking to smooth the trigger pull, reduce the creep and also reduce the trigger pull weight, the aftermarket replacement triggers previously recommended are the way to go and still be safe.

· Premium Member
12,962 Posts
Yea, if I had to guess, my trigger was around 8-9 pounds.

· Registered
3 Posts
If you ever won't to work on a trigger, get a set of polishing stones from Brownell's.
That is the only thing to ever use on a trigger. Any other thing can take off too much medal at a time. You are better off taking it to a good gunsmith are dropping in a new a new trigger group if you have never done it before.

· Registered
570 Posts
Keep in mind that they are CASE HARDENED parts, meaning that its just the outside that is hardened. So a little polishing goes a long ways. It doesnt take much to get through the casr hardening, then youre left with relatively soft steel. My stock bushy trigger is fair, but my dpms was horrible! I very lightly polished both the pins and the contacting surfaces. That did help, some. Then I did the ".10 cent" trigger job i think it was called. Not GREAT, but pretty decent now. I have put probly 300 rnds thru it since, with no adverse effects or issues. Still some load tweaking to do but itll do 5/8" groups right now.

· Registered
561 Posts
I installed a Geissele High Speed Natl. Match in my YHM and had it set up in shop as a demo gun. After customers got the feel of that trigger, we have installed them in dozens of AR's. Just being able to tune the trigger down to 1.5lbs (1st stage) and 6-14oz. (2nd stage) with over all travel at 1/8 of an inch is fantastic. I haven't tried the Timney yet (as I have spent my allowance on the Geissele...) But I'd love to give one a whirl for comparison.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.