The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. so I got a 5.56 and a 300ACC UPPER.

my wish list includes 762x39.. and?

what would be a good next wishlist chambering?

hows the 5.45x39? anything special.. or are the 6.x something to look at?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
6.5, this is about the best out there so far.

6.8 is good too but not as good.

I only have 5.56 (before I sold all my guns and ammo) uppers but 300 AAC is my next build. (theoretically, I do not own guns or magazines anymore)

I would steer away from the AK round myself, just seems wrong.

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I include dthe 762x39 since I have so many other platforms that work 762x39 ( sks /ak/vz2008 ) etc.. that is a caliber I have3 plenty on hand. seems like an ar platform for it will be nice.

so far the 300acc and 5.56 use the same mags.

I know that 762x39 uses a different mag. any other calibers share the 762x39 mag? that would save money using another caliber that also shared a mag with something.

from a previos post I hear the 204 shares the 556 mag so does the ? 45X? socum

I've never seen the 204 and that socom.. ever.. my guess it will be unobtanium for me. :)

so what, ifg anything shares the 762x39 mags? thinking out loud.

guess the 6x's also use a different mag each.. or?

( trying to find common caliber groups for mag sharing obviously as hi cap mags may now be an issue.. )

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
really? so 6.8 / 6.5 will use an ar mag loaded to less capacity? I did not know that... if so.. then either of those would be a good next progression on my list of wants.

so you like the 6.5 better than the 6.8

what are the key differences you noticed.. or what are the dislikes onthe 6.8 is it a balistics issue.. or a reloading issue?

thanks for your views on this.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I don't have much firsthand on this, but from reading up on both calibers, the 6.5 seems to fit the military role best. Both are excellent in their own right. Both use std mags which is pretty nice!

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, now.. that's a sure pluss .. since mags are an issue now. anything that uses a standard ar mag is a clear choice for me.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
really? so 6.8 / 6.5 will use an ar mag loaded to less capacity? I did not know that... if so.. then either of those would be a good next progression on my list of wants.

so you like the 6.5 better than the 6.8

what are the key differences you noticed.. or what are the dislikes onthe 6.8 is it a balistics issue.. or a reloading issue?

thanks for your views on this.
I don't think this is correct but later I will see for sure. I second the 6.5 round because it gives you the ability to reach out to 800+ yards effectively in an AR platform.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I would also vote for the 6.5 Grendel. And I'm pretty sure a 30 round standard AR mag will hold 26 rounds of 6.5 Grendel ammo.

My second choice would be .458 SOCOM, a very popular choice here locally because it's one of the few AR calibers that's legal to use for deer hunting in Indiana. Similar to .45-70 ballistics.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I would also vote for the 6.5 Grendel. And I'm pretty sure a 30 round standard AR mag will hold 26 rounds of 6.5 Grendel ammo.

My second choice would be .458 SOCOM, a very popular choice here locally because it's one of the few AR calibers that's legal to use for deer hunting in Indiana. Similar to .45-70 ballistics.
My only question, which I will test later today, is if the feed lips and follower will work.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
I take a slightly different view on this question. I look at it this way: If I have to scrounge for ammo by picking it up from the dead enemy guys, what are THEY most likely to have? Whatever those dead bad guys have is what I better have something that can shoot it or it's useless and mine without ammo will also be useless. However, I most certainly would pick up some of their weapons also. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.