The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had probelms with an ar the other day.. turned out to be a assembly issue with a spring.. that's fixed.

int he mean time I was advised to get a spare fire pin or a titanium..e tc.

looking thru my catalogs.. i see spare fire pins that are black, and i see titanium ones that are silver. Mine is silver.. are the silver ones only in titanium.. or are there other 'plain' silver ones. IE.. do i have a titanium one already?

in any case. I've picked out a place that has good priced ar parts.. good selection.. lots of different option on kits or 'pick 3/4/build it yourself kits... etc.

I'm a new ar owner.. not much experience with them.. for reference my gun is a M4 with a milspec lower ( as I have been told )

it's new, with now, perhaps 50 rounds thru it.

what, if any, spare parts are reccomended to have on hand?

·
Super Moderator
44,788 Posts
I keep a spare spring kit (has every spring in the AR) and a bolt and bolt carrier rebuild kit. That is just about all of the spare parts that I have on hand.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
not a bad idea to grab a spare gas tube and piston rings too. They should be replaced together. but you will get a couple thousand rounds of service from them before they need replacing

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I got one of these recently for my gun box. It seems to have all the necessary parts for a field expedient repair, including an extra firing pin.

They're on backorder right now at Midway, but if you'll sign-up to be notified when they arrive you can get one for a pretty good deal. Some other places have them for almost twice as much.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587468/dpms-ultimate-repair-kit-ar-15

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the link.. midway is actually where I was looking to order from.. :)

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
probably a stupid question.. but I'll ask.

I see the kit is a dpms.

I'll 'assume' that most ar15 parts are mostly interchangeable unless noted.. ( like some daewoo parts.. etc.. or bolts without the pusher groves? )

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yep, the parts are interchangeable among all of the mainstream AR-15's. That's the real beauty of the AR's modular system.

BTW, there's no such thing as a stupid question. That's how you learn.

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, the parts are interchangeable among all of the mainstream AR-15's. That's the real beauty of the AR's modular system..
I knida thought so.. but figured what'sa few seconds of typing to MAKE SURE :)

BTW, there's no such thing as a stupid question. That's how you learn.
thanks.. i'm a newb to ar guns.

so.. now.. this begs the question... seems like with a mag well converter block to let you use a different magazine.. and a different upper? once could change caliber? or if using a caliber similar enough.. even use the oem mags? I was looking at 300 blackout and thought they looked like they might fit an ar mag..

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
so.. now.. this begs the question... seems like with a mag well converter block to let you use a different magazine.. and a different upper? once could change caliber? or if using a caliber similar enough.. even use the oem mags? I was looking at 300 blackout and thought they looked like they might fit an ar mag..
I'm not solid on all the other calibers for the AR. I think .300 Blackout is the same 5.56 round necked out to .30 caliber, so it fits into the standard AR Mag. I think there are others that will work as well without an adapter in the magwell, but I'm not sure which ones.

Personally, I'd like to have a 9mm AR carbine. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts