The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im new at this so I hope it gets to everybody ok . I just bought a AR15 without sights and was wanting so help with the best kind to put on it ? It is a 223 cal. flat top but the guy kept the red dot on it for another gun so I could use some help . Thank you and be safe

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
no sights at all.. not even say.. a front one at the gas block?

if none at all.. then just get what you want. some flip up peep and post.. or even one of them neat holo sights. probably chepaer for a holo sight thana pair of flip up peep/post. or real close anyway.

if you plan on getting a fixed vs a folding FAL style carry handle.. that changes your sight options.. etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure why he took all the sights off but it does have a four rail forearm on it with a fixed handle . I was thinking maybe a rifle scope but I just want the better of the types out there . Thanks for the input .

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
lotsa people keep their optics.

question.. what are you gonna use it for?

range target hunting?

LONG range shooting? tactical?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I will second the MBUS sights from Magpul.

They are inexpensive and they are from Magpul so they are quality. Check E-bay you can pick them up for just a few bucks. I just did a quick check and saw them listed for 9 to 45 dollars.

Get the inexpensive ones and as you learn more about your firearm you will learn more about sites you want and need.

·
Super Moderator
41,401 Posts
If you go MBUS, just make sure you are getting the real ones, not those made for airsoft.
I will second that, there are some dealers that will sell the cheap air soft ones (PTS) as the real thing (MBUS).

Here are the differences.

1. The Magpul MBUS is made from custom blended polymer as used in the PMags, The PTS sights use off the shelf DuPont polymer which is not as strong. (Is there a difference? -most definitely yes)
2. Aperture on rear sights for Magpul MBUS is always Black, PTS sights have rear apertures the same color as the sights.
3. Front sight posts is smaller in width than milspec.
4. Front sight rotation is stopped with a roll pin on the Magpul MBUS and a set screw on the PTS sights.
5. All hardware on Magpul MBUS is mil spec grade and coated to mil spec standards. PTS sights use off the shelf hardware with stock coatings.
6. PTS sights are marked as such on the front of the bases to avoid confusion between the two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts