The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I beleive the recent increase in sales of guns lately has also had the impact of significantly reducing avalible inventories of both powder and primers. Yesterday, the FBI reported that there was a 49% increase in the number of background checks in December Vs. last December. (Where do they get this number since I thought it was unlawful for them to create data bases from background check information?).

Anyway, several of my usual on-line suppliers of Alliant powder and Tula primers, for example, are completely out of stock. Local stores in my area have had very limited inventory of primers for several months. I can still buy many of the powders I use locally, however. The good news is that supplies of brass and bullets from on-line supliers seems to be adequate now.

Hopefully, this situation will change in few weeks....

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
The FBI is swamped with checks for people buying guns. As for statistics, they can compile statistics on the number of checks they do just not on who those checks are for. For instance, they're not supposed to keep statistics of whether you or I bought 1 gun or 10 over a period of time.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Primers and powder are still available most places I see, AR's are the only thing missing. Every one is sold out. Magazines also, hell, even 10 round mags were out of stock for Glocks, pretty amazing.

But I backordered some and about half have already showed up, woo hoo!

This will blow over just as it did the last two elections with similar panic buying. It will take about a six months to a year to get back to normal for everything. Remember, we do this to ourselves!

I'm partially guilty, I spent $2k on a gun and a wide variety of components but I didn't order any large amount of anything, just lots of different things. The people who are dropping annual salaries on ammo and other stuff are driving everything out of stock. Not saying if I was rich I wouldn't buy stupid amounts either, but ya know...

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I normally deal with patsreloading.com or hi-techammo.com for milsurp supplies-they're wiped out....Plenty of new bullets in most calibers and new brass...but 1 fired is gone.Checked out a link from somewhere about "cheap" surplus...they wanted$75 for 500 LC....

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I haven't had any problem finding powder, but primers are a different story. Two weeks ago I found 1,000 tula small pistol primers - since then nothing anywhere. Winchester WSP's have not been available for 2 moths. CCI 500's are stocked about two or three thousand at a time and are gone the same day they come in.

I think (hope) supplies will ease up about the end of January. I base that on several web sites that are expecting out of stock items to be back in stock by the middle or end of January.

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
i found tula.. but they were more than WIN.. now powder is finally getting scarce.

I think I have enough primers now.. glutted on cci a bit.. though DO need some more SR if I can find some more S&B

·
Registered
359 Posts
I beleive the recent increase in sales of guns lately has also had the impact of significantly reducing avalible inventories of both powder and primers.
What a "coincidence" that the end-of-the-year work slowdowns has created temporary shortages in some areas of the country for reloading components and even Dillon presses.

Guys: Manufacturers take time off at the end-of-the-year for Christmas and New Year's Day. These shortages will disappear by February.

And there are no shortages in anything if you know where to look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Strangely I'm having trouble finding the reloading dies that I need. They were always in stock, before I needed them of course.
I'm thinking that many people are now making the plunge into reloading. I can only assume most places had just enough inventory on hand to deal with orders during non-panic buying times...

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
found a pitiful selection of powders at a local (ish) show this weekend. mostly pistol.. including primers.

SR and LR primers are nowhere to be found locally..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.