The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Are mounted flashlights or laser sight attachments worth the investment?
Is it important for YOU to see an inside-your-home intruder at night who obviously has bad intentions inside your home? If YES, then YES. Is it important for you to see a potential intruder outside-your-home before he/she enters your home with bad intentions? If YES, then YES. If it turns out that the would-be intruder is your neighbor who just come home inebriated and confused then perhaps NO. You can use you mounted flashlight to point him/her to their proper residence the go back to bed with you worthy investment.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Maybe. Depends on your use, expectations and how much you can spend. They add a little bulk, complexity and failure points. They also make target identification and sighting quicker in low light. For a nightstand gun they are worthwhile IMHO if you don’t go cheap and practice it’s use. That $100 you saved on a bargain light/ laser will be a bitter pill to swallow if the light goes goes out or you find the laser has lost zero when needed.
You still need an independent flashlight so you aren’t pointing the business end at things that need investigating but are not known to be threats.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not a big fan of lasers, but flashlights can be very useful to identify your target, as well as give you a lit up background to make your sights very visible. I use a handgun with a light on it quite often when out hog hunting. Occasionally I am looking for a wounded boar in thick woods, and the light does wonders. If you were looking for a creep in your yard in the middle of the night, you have a flashlight in your hand this way....that can possibly save your life !

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Maybe. Depends on your use, expectations and how much you can spend. They add a little bulk, complexity and failure points. They also make target identification and sighting quicker in low light. For a nightstand gun they are worthwhile IMHO if you don’t go cheap and practice it’s use. That $100 you saved on a bargain light/ laser will be a bitter pill to swallow if the light goes goes out or you find the laser has lost zero when needed.
You still need an independent flashlight so you aren’t pointing the business end at things that need investigating but are not known to be threats.
Hey ral357, agree with you about the "bitter pill". Learned about bitter pills a long time ago. I agree so much so that I would rather not have anything than have questionable gear. It also helps A BUNCH to constantly make sure that the flashlight has properly functioning batteries.

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
I have a laser on my 1911. I like it ALLOT it allows me to have the gun at my side and if something happens my first shot is already aimed at the bad guys heart.
I put a wireless laser and light on my AR-15 the light is set on strobe and the laser is green.
Both set up are pressure activated when I need it I just grip the grip tighter.
Some say all I am doing is giving a target to the bad guy but if you let them shoot at you then you are to slow and need to practice.
And if it is dark then without the laser then you both are shooting wild. One shot is all a .45 needs.
And the strobe light blinds the bad guy so he can not see at all.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I have two laser sights - one on the wife's Kimber Micro 9 and one on my every night AR. The laser on my AR also has a light. We have had a neighbor lose two dogs (a Black Lab and a Boxer) to coyotes in one night.

The light/laser works to illuminate and give a good sight at night when I take the dogs out at night for a potty trip. The batteries usually last about 4 months. The whole set-up cost around $100 four years ago. I have flip up sights on the AR so I had to mount the laser under the barrel and have it zeroed at 75 yards. At 75 yards I hold dead on and out farther just hold a tad low. The light gives decent illumination out to about 100 yards.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I have a laser on my 1911. I like it ALLOT it allows me to have the gun at my side and if something happens my first shot is already aimed at the bad guys heart.
I put a wireless laser and light on my AR-15 the light is set on strobe and the laser is green.
Both set up are pressure activated when I need it I just grip the grip tighter.
Some say all I am doing is giving a target to the bad guy but if you let them shoot at you then you are to slow and need to practice.
And if it is dark then without the laser then you both are shooting wild. One shot is all a .45 needs.
And the strobe light blinds the bad guy so he can not see at all.
If you set the light and laser to strobe it can be pretty disorienting to those getting that hot light pulsed in their face. He may try to get a wild shot off but yours follows a little green or red line to the end.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
No! If you can't hit what you're aiming at with open sites, go back to the range.
Seeing is the operative term. Ya gotta see your sights and ya gotta see just exactly what you intend to ventilate.;).
This thread caused me to double check my laser it’s fast even in very low light and at any distance in my castle the strike varies vertically by 3”, good enough for what it’s intended use is. I can use my irons to good affect but compared to the laser for quick hits inside 30’ in low light......not even close. Incorporating a laser into the kit in no way hinders the use of irons. They are still there. Of course you still need to practice with them.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
On a self defense weapon-a high quality white light is mandatory,100-150$ will buy a HQ light and mount......Lasers-mehh-...NODS and a infrared green laser are wonderful when Uncle Sugars paying.....a visible laser-not on my weapons.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I stuck a Chinese laser on my Vz58. Took it to the berm. I shot the gun from the hip, folded, at around 35 feet. Putting all the rounds in an area the size of a salad plate was no problem.

I stuck one on a Saiga-12 and shot from 50 feet, without shouldering the gun. Same result.

Lasers work. Whatever their advantages or disadvantages may be, they do work. The projectiles really do go wherever the dot is.

Some people hate them for no good reason. All I can say is you should try one before listening to people with no experience. I have Crimson Traces on both my carry Glocks. I can shoot just fine if the lasers don't work, but if they do work, I have a huge advantage.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I stuck a Chinese laser on my Vz58. Took it to the berm. I shot the gun from the hip, folded, at around 35 feet. Putting all the rounds in an area the size of a salad plate was no problem.

I stuck one on a Saiga-12 and shot from 50 feet, without shouldering the gun. Same result.

Lasers work. Whatever their advantages or disadvantages may be, they do work. The projectiles really do go wherever the dot is.

Some people hate them for no good reason. All I can say is you should try one before listening to people with no experience. I have Crimson Traces on both my carry Glocks. I can shoot just fine if the lasers don't work, but if they do work, I have a huge advantage.
You have a advantage------the person it's aimed at has a huge advantage-point at red dot and shoot.....been proven over and over....but to each their own,if YOU like it,cool.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
So a burglar can see a green beam, but he can't see a man in pajamas! And burglars will hit whatever they shoot at?

Makes no sense at all. The advantage of plugging a burglar easily and quickly with multiple rounds will far outweigh any help he gets from seeing a beam. The beam makes MY shots accurate. It doesn't help the burglar.

·
Garandaholic
9,494 Posts
So a burglar can see a green beam, but he can't see a man in pajamas! And burglars will hit whatever they shoot at?

Makes no sense at all. The advantage of plugging a burglar easily and quickly with multiple rounds will far outweigh any help he gets from seeing a beam. The beam makes MY shots accurate. It doesn't help the burglar.
I think the idea is you don't know the bad guy's intentions. So the instant you point your gun at the bad guy, you better pull the trigger. If you point and don't shoot, then his intentions rule the moment.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Assuming that is true, which I don't, it wouldn't be any different without a laser. When a bad guy sees you point a gun at him, he will behave the same way with or without a laser.

With a laser, I can hit a burglar with my weak hand 30 feet away while lying on the ground. I can put multiple rounds in without struggling to reacquire a sight picture. By the time a burglar sees a beam, he's being shot. It's a great tool.

·
Garandaholic
9,494 Posts
Assuming that is true, which I don't, it wouldn't be any different without a laser. When a bad guy sees you point a gun at him, he will behave the same way with or without a laser.
I thought we were talking in the dark.
I don't really have a dog in the fight. I can envision advantages and disadvantages with each setup.

·
GUNZILLA
6,774 Posts
I don't believe in either. I understand if there are other family members in the home and a flashlight is needed, in my case I don't have other members and if I see a silhouette tough for them. The locked door in the front and rear of the house is for their protection not mine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts