Are people in your area in full-blown panic mode?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/03 6:49:53 pm)
    Reply Are people in your area in full-blown panic mode?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are people in your area going nuts because of this terror alert nonsense?

In the D.C. area where I live, several major chain stores (e.g., Sams Club, Costco, Lowes, Home Depot) have reported panic purchasing of plastic sheeting, duct tape, bottled water, and batteries has left their shelves bare of these items.

My neighbor works at our local Lowes and he told me that in 2 days they had sold out of:

Plastic sheets of all kinds.
    Duct tape and masking tape.
    Dust masks and organic fume respirators (like are used in auto paint shops).
    Air filters.
    Water filters.
    Portable generators.

He told me they had two guys get in a fist-fight over the plastic sheeting and that people were ripping the plastic covering off pallets of lumber!

I went to Costco and they were sold out of bottled water. People were rolling carts with enough food for an army up to the registers. And they were acting like total idiots!

Generally, it seems these folks have slipped a friggin? gear!

What?s happening where you are?

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/03 7:12:10 pm)
    Reply Re: Are people in your area in full-blown panic mode?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing even remotely resembling that going on around here. Of course, the sparsley populated Northern plains where I live isn't too likely to be the site of very much terrorist activity, anyway.

On the other hand, though, maybe the whole deal was just to get people out spending money (stimulating the ol' economy, ya know?)

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/14/03 7:15:49 pm)
    Re: Are people in your area in full-blown panic mode?
    I got a few rolls of duct tape. I should put them and some hunks of plastic on Ebay as an anti terrorist protection kit

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/03 8:12:52 pm)
    Reply Ya Know...
    Warpig, That's not a bad idea!...I've got a buncha sheeet in the barns that could be used for national defense...Hmmmm...thinkin' of makin' millions right at the moment...

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/14/03 8:39:41 pm)
    Re: Ya Know...
    Just came home from COSTCO and the only run I made on anything was t.p. does that count?
    cointoss2

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/14/03 8:54:06 pm)
    Reply Re: Ya Know...
    Frankly, the attitude here in the Midwest is

"Eh? Pass me a Bud Light"

Appears to be a coastal phenomena wid this plastic sheeting and duct tape thing. Around here, we save the plastic sheeting and duct tape fer dem kinky things ------

walter in florida
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/03 9:04:47 pm)
    I not even thinking about it until My Daughter 37 who lives In Orlando called me (she a liberal) and said she was lucky because she was able to buy a bunch of duct tape and plastic. Then she said we all decided to make you place a secure area because you and your neighbors ALL have guns. I sure hope she brings all that duct tape and plastic because I not going to get any. The guy next door had a relative move from Texas to Florida and asked my neighbor if he could store a FEW at the house. He said sure I put them in the Safe. When he showed up, my neighbor said I don't think there all going to fit. He had about 10 long guns and about 12 hand guns. Over 2000 223 for he AR-l5 and about a 1000 hand loads for his (9MM, 45 ACP and .357. I understand he in Computation Shooting. I Guess we are armed well enough now but no plastic and duct tape

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/14/03 9:08:33 pm)
    Ain't seen any of that type of buying spree around here, but then - I don't get out much!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

IShootBack
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/03 9:38:49 pm)
    Just got back from wallyworld, getting some ammo and drinks for an IDPA match tomorrow. Most of the water was gone and they were handing it out right off the pallet truck

Didn't check plastic or duct tape. I have plenty of both - I use it at work regularly.

The guy at the ammo counter told me they have been selling ammo at record high pace. I'm lucky to have gotten 100 rounds of 9mm for my match tomorrow.

C'Ya
    ISB in Central VA
    Guns cause crime, like spoons made Rosie fat

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/03 9:51:17 pm)
    Re: Ya Know...
    Not much going on here in NW Wa. I was thinking of getting some MRE's: anyone have a good source??
    "Life is not:easy, fair or cheap... sometimes bad things happen to good people"

Spectre D
    (2/14/03 10:22:34 pm)
    Not a thing happening here. Maybe some of the more paranoid folk, but generally most of the people around are too lazy to care.
    Given the distance between where I'm at and the nearby base, only a really retarded terrorist (relatively speaking) would want to hit the worthless town I'm in.

Shizamus
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/03 12:38:16 am)
    MRE's at :
    www.emergencyessentials.com

Real talk radio at : www.gcnlive.com

Shizamus VT.

pickenup
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/03 1:11:34 am)
    Have not been to town, so I don't know if anyone is going nuts or not. Wait a minute, they are in town already, so they must be nuts to begin with.

I would buy some of that there duck tape, if it would help me catch some ducks.

tyfla99
    (2/15/03 7:11:31 am)
    The stores here on the east coast of central Florida seem to be keeping up with the chicken littles. Most of us who can think past today already have our hurricane kits. MRE's, water purification, tape, visqueen, batteries, stuff to smoke all the meats in the freezer, mongo first aid kit, skeeter juice. Even a sledgehammer to get me out of the rubble. Night vision and ammo are in the looter section. My neighbors have even told me they really like having a stable "gun guy"(their words) within hollerin distance. The last evacuation they left because I stayed. My daughter was on stand by for the Guard so I stayed. When everyone is sweating it out in their rubber rooms I'll be out in comfort breathing the same air. Realist, fatalist or idiot, you decide! Sounds a lot like duck and cover to me!

tyfla99
    (2/15/03 7:14:15 am)
    Did not mean to post the thumbs down icon! Image is everything!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/15/03 7:49:38 am)
    foiled again
    Which one of you guys swiped my idea?

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...tegory=300

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/03 8:45:12 am)
    Reply Re: foiled again
    Duct tape has been selling well around here, but that's only because the local Public TV station is running it's annual "Red Green Duct Tape Sculpture Contest" (no kidding).

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/03 9:24:24 am)
    Reply | Edit Re: foiled again
    *sigh* warpig, you knew it would happen. In today's world somebody stands to profit off of every emergency. I, for one, wish I were in the gasoline business. Gas is higher right now in San Antonio than it has ever been in history.

I was at the store yesterday picking up some supplies for refinishing a gun stock, and I saw plenty of duct tape around. No panic here. In fact, most people are laughing at the idea. I've been hearing reports that the state of Georgia is out of duct tape. The manufacturer(s) have increased production by 40% and still can't keep up.

I wonder if Bush has stock in a duct tape company. Hmmmm.

Here's my million dollar idea: Terrorist Attack Protection Cocoons. They are egg-shaped devices large enough for a person to get inside of and shut the lid. They contain enough food and water for a week, as well as waste facilities. They also contain battery-operated radios and cell phones that are integral to the unit. They are bomb-proof, airtight, and impervious to any biological/chemical attacks. Buy one for each member of your family! Many different colors available! No duct tape required!
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

1badassmagnum
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/03 11:05:09 am)
    Reply trust in GOD not duct tape and plastic sheating!
    freakin funny as all getout,everyone worrying about their darn property and breathing mustard gas,like some plastic is really gonna seal your home.
    I'm preparing some special rounds for my neighborhood taliban group.
    www.glocktalk.com/attachm...id=1321771

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/03 12:40:07 pm)
    Reply ?????
    1badassmagnum -

That link is in pretty bad taste, don't you think?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/03 2:37:13 pm)
    Reply Re: ?????
    I bought some extra duct-tape......to wrap around my head to keep it from exploding; from all the fear-mongering going on. The sky is falling-The sky is falling.

LTS

pass me a bud-light too!!!

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/03 5:45:14 pm)
    Reply Re: ?????
    Hey 1952Sniper - the egg-shaped survival cacoon was already invented - it was a car called the Pacer -------

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/03 7:21:49 pm)
    Reply Hey! Hey! HeY!...
    Only want Miller-Lite comin' this way...

1badassmagnum
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/03 11:14:29 pm)
    Reply Re: Hey! Hey! HeY!...
    think of all the americans who died sept 11th!
    And all our freedoms being taken away
    an eye for an eye,and a tooth for a tooth.
    and a head for a head rolleyes

LowellM
    (2/16/03 7:46:45 pm)
    So far I don't see anything like that in Texas. Of course we are all armed and dangerous.

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/16/03 9:09:59 pm)
    Nothin' happening out here in SW Idaho, biznez as usual. Course, pert'near everbody up here has enough to handle whatever might happen, if they don't, tell'em come see me.

berto
    Endeaver to Persevere<br>

mustang7513
    (2/16/03 9:13:45 pm)
    Re: Are people in your area in full-blown panic mode?
    Heard rumors of some folks buying a bunch of duct tape and plasitc, but nothing that has caused lines blocking the road keeping me from the range. But then we got nothin' anybody wants in the NW but rain.

Things of quality have no fear of time.

denfoote
    (2/17/03 3:17:22 am)
    Not really, but I note that ammunition is sort of hard to get (durn near sold out at my local Wallyworld) and according to my FFL, handgun sales is brisk!!
    Glock 36: Welcome to my web, said the Black Widow Maker to the fly.<BR>

Resistance is futile!! You will be assimilated into the Glock Collective!!!

LowellM
    (2/17/03 10:40:42 am)
    Assuming you cleaned out wally world of duct tape and home depot of plastic sheeting, what are the odds that you could seal a room away from micro particles of chemicals? I don't really know how effective this would be in a near strike zone. In addition, I wonder how long one has to stay in these sealed conditions before it is safe to venture out. Of course that would dictate how much food, water, etc. that one would have to have. I wonder if Ossama Bin Hidin is aware that he could be kicking the sleeping tiger?

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/17/03 11:04:49 am)
    I got a plastic bag and duct taped to my head

Danged near smoth-a-cated myself

Smoky the duh

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/17/03 3:05:13 pm)
    Reply Fall Out Shelter
    I still have the fall out shelter in my basement from back in the 50's.This is where the canned goods and JIm Beam are stored.I try to keep a half gallon in stock at all times.You never know when you may get snake bit,flu or a terroist attack. Benny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.