Are some Iver Johnson and H&R parts interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by marcodelat, Apr 5, 2009.

1. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

I was wondering in any pins, springs or any other of the "small parts" from these two - apparently very similar caliber .38 S&W top break revolvers - are "interchangeable" or could be "adapted" to one another:

.38 S&W - H&R New Model Hammerless

.38 S&W - Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless New Model

Specifically, at this time would like to know if the firing pin spring from the Iver Johnson could be used to replace the firing pin spring on the H&R.

- thanks

2. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

As I recall, they are rather similar and I think it would work.

All that is required is a light, short coil spring, enough to retract the pin back into the frame. If you go to a good hardware store, it may be possible to buy several different springs to take home and try. Expect to trim a long spring down to the size needed.

3. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Thanks 45Auto -

Yes, I don't see the coil spring being a problem to find a suitable replacement for.

I took apart this revolver, checked it all out and put it back together without much trouble at all; however...

The ONE pin that I need to get out doesn't seem to want to come out.

Tha'd be the very small one that pins the Firing Pin Retainer Plugon the frame.

Carefully "pounded" on it a bit, using a punch I cut from a soft metal paper clip but it really isn't moving at all.

Don't want to mar the relatively (for it's age) nickle finish the firearm still shows so I am open to suggestions here... got any?

again - thanks

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If any of the parts interchange, it's purely accidential. The two companys had nothing in common with each other , other than they both made firearms.

5. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

Some of those pins will not come out easily. If you work on these revolvers much, then you will have to make yourself some special punches. The best bet, is to take a good tool steel punch and tapper it down to the size of the pin you want to remove. If you have no lathe, you can also use a length of drill rod the right size. take the smallest round Dremel grinding point you can get and grind a concave tip on the punch. Use this to knock out the pin.

6. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

Yes, it's no doubt an accident. But for some models it appears that the same hand designed them both. Such as the American Bull Dog and the American Double Action. Who copied from whom, or if it was an accident, I don't know. :D

7. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Funny you mention this - I was planning to use the back end of a tiny drill bit from an Exacto drill set I have - it's just the right diameter, but as far as "concaving" it with a Dremel... guess I'll just have to see - it's a challenge.

Wonder if these old guys used some kind of jig to press these pins out... seems it'd be the way to do it properly.

Going to try some PB Blaster on it for a day or two... the try tapping it out again with this bit.

Once I get it out a bit I figure I can use a set of smooth jawed parallel pliers to "work it out"

8. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Well... as far as coiled spring, mainsprings, v-springs, pins, screws and such there are fortunately many happy "accidents" to be had...

Even if some / most don't just "drop right in" minor tweaking and fitting will get you a part that will make the gun work properly...

There's also folks out there who have the skill, tooling and patience to actually machine unavailable parts like cylinder (center) pins, firing pins, etc.

9. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

The most common problem I find in working on old top break revolvers is a broken or worn out trigger spring. I ordered a bunch of H&R and IJ trigger springs from Nimrich, then threw them all in a single drawer. When I need one I use the one that fits best.