Are we dumb?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I went to the Auto Zone today to get new windshield wipers blades. Well guess what? You can't buy refills there anymore, noooooooo. You have to buy the whole thing now. I guess we are too stupid to change the blade itself. I asked the guy at he counter why they didnt have any refills. He pointed to the blade and said something like "well you gotta squeeze these things together and it hard to do, and nobody likes to do it". What? Go figure.

Here is another one. The new gas cans come with a spring loaded check valve in them now. You know why? Its because we are too stupid to remember to put the cap back on. The govt made this mandatory so the fumes dont leak out. How do you like that? So now when you want to put gas in a small machine you have to push the valve against the fill tank to get gas into the machine. So now you cant see into the gas tank while your filling it and i have seen people spill gas because of over filling. Great hugh?

2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

OMG...That is the most ridiculous information I've heard in a while.

3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I hate autozone. I go to NAPA but they are getting just as bad. I believe the reason is cuz these sociallites dont wanna get thair hands dirty and as far as the gas cans are concerned, I still have the old metal ones that came from Sears back in late 70's early 80's. I just love how we have these jerks that think it is their job to protect us from ourselves.

4. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Well, actually... humanity in general is pretty dumb. Look at the warning labels on things. Those are only there because someone couldn't figure out that using a toaster in a bath tub is a bad idea. It's not just CYA, people are actually that stupid.

I'm a computer tech and every time I think I've seen it all, some one comes along and impresses me with how they are able to screw things up. I've seen people break things and cause errors that I couldn't cause if I tried to.

Do I think the government should be our babysitter? Absolutely not, but that's the way it is. Some might say we could do away with the warning labels and after a few years of "thinning the herd," we wouldn't need those kind of warnings anymore.

5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Well, I have to admit I do plenty of dumb things myself. The mention of the gas can made me think of a story.

When I was growing up, to fill the lawn mower with gas we always just siphoned gas from the car to the lawn mower with a small rubber tube. Sure, I got gas in my mouth a few times, but I got the hang of it pretty quick.

My Mom was never comfortable with my Dad and I siphoning gas (she was mad that he had taught me to in the first place), so she bought us a gas can.

Result: We used the hose to siphon gas from the car to the gas can, and then fill the mower. It did help though... the can held a bit so I only had to siphon about 1/3 as often.

6. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Do I have to answer this question with full disclosure from a personal perspective??? :eek:

7. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I was a lazy child and with my father being a motorcycle enthusiest instead of walking the four blocks to the gas station I would remove one of the hoses from his gas tank on his Harley. There was a few times that I ran him pretty short on fuel. Oh I am glad I can laugh about the things I done 17 years ago. Of course the reprocusions at the time were less that humerous.

8. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

9. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I have to share my story then. I'm in the automation field. Basically, I design electrical systems and programming that interfaces with the mechanical systems that produce goods. There are all sorts of new regulations coming onto the scene regarding the safety of equipment I design. It's annoying... :(

I had a coworker tell me the other day that one safety incident occurred somewhere (I really don't know what industry or area), when a machine operator got their hand caught in a machine. They released the run button to free their hand and relieve the pain of the incident. Upon a follow-up interview this person told their safety representative that they appreciated the training that had been provided because it told them explicitly to release the run button when caught in a machine. I felt nauseous just thinking about how dumb we've become as a species. :eek:

Did this person have to be taught to take their foot off of the accelerator in the event that they hit a brick wall in their car too?... :confused:

So sad... :eek:

10. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

We have had people call the help desk saying things like "Hi, smoke and fire is coming out of the back of my computer monitor, what should I do?"

GET OUT OF THE BUILDING AND CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT.

The help desk is not the right place to call. We're not going to tell you, "Oh, we get that error all the time. Hold down Alt and push F12 and that will take care of it."

11. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Lurpy....I can't imagine the kinds of questions you get...it must take great character and fortitude to maintain a professional, kind demeanor.

I think the example of "dumbing down" that I was most shocked to see years ago was on some canned vegetables where it indicated you have to open the can and empty it into the pan FIRST, before heating. Perhaps in a few years we'll have pictures of that process to eliminate any confusion....

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I got a call one Monday morning, bright and early. Client was complaining bitterly that I had not fulfilled my contract to back up his computer on the previous Friday.

My answer? "When you don't take the computer home for the weekend, I will back it up."

He was a little sheepish about that. Then he got all POed when I charged him for the trip to find out that the computer wasn't in the office.

Pops

13. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

oy vey, Pops! Some people!

14. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  15. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

You want some hardware store horror stories?
    I figure Hardware stores willl soon be outlawed, we sell far too much dangerous stuff, like Muratic acid, turps, MEK, (I had a guy said he used it in his fondue pot burner!!) not to mention the chemical cleaners/strippers!!
    Chain saws, propane tanks that customers can carry away!!
    Machetes and knives, and God forbid, MATCHES!!
    BLoody dangerous place:):):):)