The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,572 Posts
Back when I trapped, many is the time I had to break ice to get the canoe through and, stop half way through my line to build a fire and warm up.

·
Super Moderator
29,017 Posts
This is what we shot our USPSA match in last weekend..... View attachment 244231

I am hoping for better weather for Speed Steel this weekend.

What kind of weather is your limit to shoot?
We used to shoot in conditions like this. This is not my club only a picture I found. If it gets bad now they will close the club. We can still get in as full members and shoot. One time 5 of us shot in a full blizerd with 40mph winds. By the time we left if you didn't have a 4x4 you wernt getting out of the parking lot.

View attachment 244274
Winter is my favorite time of year . I shoot at home mostly , No competitions so it's all just fun working on loads and enjoying the fresh air . I like it above zero , but these long cold winters won't beat me . 3 ounce triggers are tricky on my cold finger so I mostly shoot my guns that have at least a pound of pull.

View attachment 244288 View attachment 244289
You guys are CRAZY!, ain't no way I'm going out shooting in any of that.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Yup, another fair weather shooter here, I will occasionally step out back and blow off a few rounds in the winter to test a new gun or a new load. The only other time I shoot when its cold is if I need to sight in a hunting rifle in the late fall. I shoot for fun, not to freeze my you know what off.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
cold weather shooting i not the problem. gun cleaning is for me. i clean after every shoot and all the cleaning stuff is on the same bench as the shooting area. liquids and cold hands are........
there are no words i can use here to describe it.

rick

·
TFF Chaplain
21,233 Posts
I clean when I get home. When it's time to go, it's time to go.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I dont do competitive shooting. One i cant afford it and two there arnt any shooting clubs within 50 miles of me. However me and the nephews are going shooting tomorrow, gonna pattern a few loads and chokes, bust a few dozen clays, "play" with a few handguns. Learned my one nephew never shot an AR15 so ill bring that along as well. Weatherman says 25 and sunny 10mph breeze from the SE should be a nice day of shooting. My sister says snows only bought 14 inches on the shooting range.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
The thought of a heated shooting shack sounds sweet !!!I have thought about building a enclosed shooting bench , closest I have come was making a brass catching /blocking net for my table so didn't have to look for my brass in the grass and weeds . Does not block the wind very good . I move it from rifle distance to pistol distance as needed . My shooting burm is not huge any way . Guess could just put target stands for pistol shots .

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
The thought of a heated shooting shack sounds sweet !!!I have thought about building a enclosed shooting bench , closest I have come was making a brass catching /blocking net for my table so didn't have to look for my brass in the grass and weeds . Does not block the wind very good . I move it from rifle distance to pistol distance as needed . My shooting burm is not huge any way . Guess could just put target stands for pistol shots .
lol...I just got done telling the boys im gonna bring a tarp and lay it out on the ground and stand next to it and shoot so we dont have to search for shells in the snow

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't go out shooting in heavy rain.
My rod & gun club is still doing trap shoots and there's been a fair number of times this season when the thermometer was reading about 20 degrees as I went out the door.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I stayed home from a Benchrest shoot last summer. Wind was predicted to be 20+ mph.. It was, I found out. Since I drive 140 mi to the match I guess I scored.

·
Premium Member
20,325 Posts
For the 1st 10 years, we shot trap my son and I went every weekend. We shot if it was -10°. Sometimes we would show up and no one would be there. This year I only went 2 times in January and have yet to shoot in February. We will be shooting tomorrow.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
In the past I've fired some muzzleloading matches in some cold and snowy weather.....when 10-15 was the high for the day.

Back before chemo the cold didn't much bother me. It does now. Windy conditions have ALWAYS bothered me....and it doesn't have to be very cold to keep me in if it's windy
You must have picked up that wind hatred from your time spent in Wyoming Sharps. You just never get used to it or like it, you just learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
We have a Run N Gun in January and July, 7 years and never cancelled.

We had Eat N Shoots every other month, until the Chinese Bio-warfare. Yesterday was first in a year. Another is scheduled for next month.

Cowboy Action Shoots are a very fair weather bunch. Shoots are scheduled on every other Saturday, UNLESS it is too cold, too windy, too wet, too hot, or any possibility that it might be any of the above.

My pasture is always and grandkids are always ready to bust a cap or a thousand, no matter what the weather is.

I have sat in a duck blind with 6° weather, lay in a goose spread with 40-50 mph wind, sat in a deer stand with a foot of snow on the ground, hog hunted in a down pour, and dove hunted when it was 110°. If somebody calls wanting to go, we go.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts