Are you loading too many calibers?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gene Seward, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

My question to you all is, are you loading for a bunch of calibers like you always have or are you cutting back to just a few? I am loading .223, .308, and 9mm for myself and doing all I can to get all my components for those used up. At least I am using all my brass that I have for the .308, and working toward another 1000 or so of the others. I figure that I can most likely find those calibers if the sh@t hits the fan.

2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

No change at all. But i only do a few.

3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I am retired and can load all I can afford, but I don't want to get too many calibers going and take away from what I should be doing with the important ones. You know it just doesn't look good for the future of this country. People are getting more stupid with what they do everyday.

4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

you preaching to the choir.

5. RFL

RFL New Member

I'm loading more than ever. When I find a friend that has a new caliber to load, I let him buy the die and then I teach him to reload for his gun. This way, I introduce more people to the hobby, gain another die and have a blast when we test his gun. My recent adventure has been a 30-378 Weatherby that has given me a couple of problems that I usually don't encounter. It's great to find friends that have like interests that their wife allows them to spend this kind of money to keep me at home.ha

6. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I only reload for a few. 45-70, 45 Colt, 45 Auto, 44 Mag. I do keeping up with these ones but they account for 95% of everything I shoot.

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I load for .45 ACP, 45-70, 45 Colt, .44 Mag, .40 S&W, 9mm, .38/.357, 30-06, .308, .223, 7mm-08, .270, M1 Carbine, and .204 Ruger. If I buy a different caliber weapon, then I start reloading for that weapon!

Dang I didn't realize that I was reloading for that many. It can get expensive (now days) to keep a supply of bullets in!

8. army mp

army mp Member

9 caliber’s here, but a couple are loaded with the same bullet, I cast most of my handgun stuff, and buy the Rifle, I have found the hornady bullet to be the best buy for the money in rifle, I am retired. Before I retired I was lucky to keep up with the handgun stuff.But you are right its not a cheap hobby.

9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I didn't know there was a thing as too many! :)

I'm still adding to my collection of dies and components...I try to have a good stock on hand for each caliber that I shoot regularly. I'm back up to about two dozen rifle cartridges and four handgun cartridges that I reload for...took me a while to get back up to speed after I lost my whole reloading setup in a fire a few years ago but it just keeps growing!

10. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I'm not reloading anything yet cause of the demand for components. I plan to reload for 2 pistol and 3 rifle calibers when I get all the supplies. That will cover everything I shoot and one for a friend.

11. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I have only been reloading for about 2 years.. i currently am equipped for .38, .45, .223
    I would like to add more to the mix later as needed.

12. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

When people ask my buddy what he loads he just tells them that he has people. LOL His people is only one, me. I load for him the 308,6.5,9,45, and now the 7.62x39 and it is giving me fits. I am having a hard time finding a load that works in his mini 30. I tried varget, and H4895 with no luck and now am just guessing. The H4895 I can not get but one size load and it did not work. I just worry about having enough ammo on hand for the guns that I would use most and take with me if required. BTW, don't worry you will not be seeing me on CNN tonight as a shooter or anything like that. LOL It drives me crazy that anyone would kill others and then themselves. Save time and lives and just shoot your your dumba@@. LOL

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  13. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not really. I just shoot less and thus load less because of it.