The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an Arisaka that I can not identify. The ONLY identification that I can find is a S/N 120xx.

I can not find an Arsenal Mark, Series Mark, etc.

I think it is a Type 38, but not even sure of that. My Type 99 is clearly marked with Kanji.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Trap and others, I searched and searched and couldn't find the answer. Posted this topic and of course found the answer almost instantly. Karma. While disassembling it, the only other mark I found were roman characters on the bolt.

Does anyone know what the "PB" on the bolt means? Forgot where I saw it, but I had to remove the bolt before it was visible.

Regards,

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks Trap and others, I searched and searched and couldn't find the answer. Posted this topic and of course found the answer almost instantly. Karma. While disassembling it, the only other mark I found were roman characters on the bolt.

Does anyone know what the "PB" on the bolt means? Forgot where I saw it, but I had to remove the bolt before it was visible.

Regards,
Stamped at the root of bolt handle-PB is the mark of Pietro Beretta . Couldn't quite make out the letter prefix of rifle s/n, if it is "L", then it within the serial number range of Beretta production of these rifles.

Beretta was one of the three manufacturers that were contracted to manufacture Type I rifles for Japan in 1938-39. Total production is either 60,000 or 120,000 rifles, depending on different sources.

Type I as in "I" for Italian.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
PB for Pietro Beretta makes sense, but the serial number does not start with an "L," probably an "l".

Does that mean that this is an early Arisaka from FNA Brescia with a Beretta Bolt placed in it? Does the PB mean something else, or were Beretta bolts used at Brescia? The PB is on the underside of the bolt handle. See Photos..

IMG_E4095.JPG

Stamped at the root of bolt handle-PB is the mark of Pietro Beretta . Couldn't quite make out the letter prefix of rifle s/n, if it is "L", then it within the serial number range of Beretta production of these rifles.

Beretta was one of the three manufacturers that were contracted to manufacture Type I rifles for Japan in 1938-39. Total production is either 60,000 or 120,000 rifles, depending on different sources.

Type I as in "I" for Italian.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep, "I" prefix was part of FNA production. Interesting, I have a "H" prefix also made by FNA that came with a PB marked bolt. On mine, the under side of the receiver is stamped with a large FNA 39.

Also have a "C" prefix made at Fab. Arma. Gardone that came with bolt marked with a 29 in a diamond. As I understand, a number of different contractors sent parts to FNA to be assembled/inspected before being shipped to Japan.

My recent import Brescia 1916 M91 TS carbine has a PB marked bolt. Beretta made M91 TS(M) carbines in the 1930's as well as "cavalry" carbines through WW2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks wabbit, Happy to hear that I can "assume" until I find out otherwise that bolt could be an original.

I have searched the gun from top to bottom looking for identification marks of any kind, and all I could find was the serial number and the small "PB" on the bolt. That was what made this gun so intriguing to me!!!

Yep, "I" prefix was part of FNA production. Interesting, I have a "H" prefix also made by FNA that came with a PB marked bolt. On mine, the under side of the receiver is stamped with a large FNA 39.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts