The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased this rifle (Arisaka 38 6.5 jap) from a dealer who picked it up at an estate sale. Any info regarding it would be helpful. I’ve read some of the basics on its history, but the extended stock looks different than most images I’ve seen regarding this rifle.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Barrel has been truncated, bolt worked over to a bent bolt versus straight and the but stock has bee carved on. No collector value. Ammo expensive but reloadable. Probably worth less than you paid for it. Be interesting to learn how accurate it is after all of the bubba work. Mine lacks the mum but is all original, less bolt dust cover. Accurate out to 300 or 400 yards with original iron sights.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sad Bubba got to it . :( . Be sure to slug bore in case he also changed the caliber along with everything else . If left original its value would of been much more then after been cut on . If it had the mum it really would of been a crime to of been sporterized . If the bore is good it should be a very good shooter .

·
Premium Member
9,900 Posts
I have a T-38 my grandfather brought back from WWII and I can attest that yes, they are an accurate rifle when loaded with the correct 140 grain bullet. Mine is all numbers matching including the dust cover/unground mum but sadly Grampa’s first job after the war was at a plating company and yes, barrel bands along with a few other parts managed to find their way into the plating tank. While unfortunate by today’s standard it does add an interesting story to the rifle.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I stand corrected ! When I first looked at it was with cell phone and just took it for granted was scrubbed off . First one seen with mum that was messed with . That is sad . CSI should track down who would do such a heinious crime to it !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,900 Posts
I think the problem was that they were handing them out like candy to the servicemen after the war and at the time, they didn’t have much value. I can see it 100 years from now, “aw man, too bad someone Bubba’d that Marlin Model 60.”

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
It is a 'sporterized' Arisaka. The stock has been replaced with a European style hunting stock, the bolt had been 'jeweled', the bolt handle has been replaced and I'm guessing that maybe the barrel has been shortened. There is no collector value left. It is now a sporting rifle.

I suggest that you have a chamber cast done to determine the exact caliber. Many of these rifles had the chambers reamed to accept available ammunition. When I was a teenager back in the 60s, a friends father had an Arisaka that had been rechambered to .257 Roberts because 6.5 Jap ammo was unavailable even back then.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
It's been sporterized which is a shame because the mum is still intact. Those were ground off when the guns were surrendered at the end of WWII. That one was brought home by a serviceman and never surrendered.
Not to pick nits but not every surrendered Arisaka had its Mum ground, only those surrendered in Japan itself. And not every one with a mum was ‘captured in action.’ The “fact” that the mum signified it was ‘property of the Emperor’ and thus had to be ground wasn’t the whole story. McArthur coming up with a “make work” program for the conquered Japanese so they could earn money and maybe not starve and keep respect so they didn’t commit suicide was actually the true story.

Any surrendered somewhere other than Japan, and a lot were surrendered in China and Korea, among other places, not “captured,” came back with mums.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I saw a video once and it showed 100s of rifles leaned up on a curb and they was running over them with a tank . Said they was in Japan . I almost cried . Have seen some mums with just a couple chisel cross marks , Mine was done with a grinder I think , nothing left of mum at all .

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Yeah depending on the “shop” the orders were to “deface” the Emperor’s marking, not how. It was easiest thus more common to grind them but I’ve seen them lined out, “stippled” scratched, filed, chiseled and partially ground ( sometimes barely touched) with a grinder.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
But back to the original thread, as much as it’s a shame so MUCH “sporterizing” was done that it can’t be “restored,” but as far as “sporterizing” goes, on a scale from “Bubba-10” that one definitely looks at least a step or two ABOVE a “Bubba...”😎

It all depends how it shoots. The funny thing is ALL 6.5 mm rounds with the right bullet CAN be very accurate shooters, everybody acts like the Creedmore is “new,” the only reasons more countries did NOT switch to 6-6.5mms around the first or second decade of the last century is the need fir a more powerful MMG, believe it or not to arm aircraft! .25s didn’t cut it in Air to Air, and this every country that used 6-6.5 mms in their rifles (that actually fought in a war, not like Sweden...) had to have a .30 cal+ for their MMG, and it was tough to produce and supply two types of ammo during wartime.

If it shoots, start hand loading for it and prove it’s “worth” in the shooting😉

In the late 70s I hunted in PA and my buddy’s Grandpa hunted with a nice sporterized Type 38 carbine with a Weaver side mount. He called it his “Jap .25.” Handy as hell, very accurate and he killed plenty of white tails with it...😉

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Do a chamber cast, and slug the bore, the bore can range from .264 to .269. Later made rifles can have egg shaped chambers. If it's still in 6.5x50sr Jap, a .260 Remington finish reamer is all that's needed for a conversion. Beats chasing down 6.5 Jap brass.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
The only real complaint about the Arisakas is that they managed to make a crappier safety than the Russians😎. Push while turning versus pull while turning both pretty much suck if you are in a hurry, especially with gloves on...

You just KNOW they carried them with the safety off on patrol, and we’ll never know how many “Sons of Nippon” bought the farm with ADs...

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's one of the best Bubba conversions I have seen. They took some time on the stock. I think the cheek rest looks bad but the international full length stock is nice.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Rlb, that’s a nice looking rifle. Love that wood.

Is that your wildcat, “6.5x257?” What did you do, cut and fireform .257 Roberts cases to 6.5x50 or ream out the chamber to fit the Roberts? That sounds like it could be a nice accurate round...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts