The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have an arisaka type 99 rifle that is a .410 shotgun appears to be original and not modified - has anyone else seen one or no about this conversion has no sights and bead only, looks cool tried british brass and seems to chamber well
thanks
rich baran

·
Registered
18,594 Posts
hello i have an arisaka type 99 rifle that is a .410 shotgun appears to be original and not modified - has anyone else seen one or no about this conversion has no sights and bead only, looks cool tried british brass and seems to chamber well
thanks
rich baran
Was it re-barrelled?

·
Registered
18,594 Posts
My guess would be A LOT.
You should see what the Turk gunsmiths did to my 'enfauser'

Its the back end and receiver of an Enfield, and the front of an 1893 mauser

Lotsa welding, cutting, brazing!

Bolt is a hackjob! And it fires!

Mag floorplate tacked somewhat/mostly over the Enfield removeable mag opening

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I'm not a gunsmith and don't pretend to know anything about a Arisaka 99 rifle.
But, know a friend us to use 410 with 44 or 45 ammno.
But true Arisaka would it not be when it was modified? Early on Japanese War 1930's a machine gun round of 7.7mm was used, then attempts of replacing Type 38 rifle. Due Pacific War both types were used.
Since mods depended on where in Asia made and timing of build makes big difference.
As you most likely already know you're looking at about 4 versions, of just the rifle itself: short, long, Paratroop and even Sniper models.
One with chrone lined bore for easy cleaning and a monopod stand would mean early build/mod. Later were last ditch efforts and nice stuff not added.
Korean time under USA supervision chambered for 30-06. Some aftermarket folks decided do on mods to change to 30-06 and NATO 7.16 so I'd worry about their milling process.

***Again besides pictures if you note the caliber and good pictures of magazine, ejector port and inside bore would greatly assist in the experts here asisiting you. Their are alot of great helpful folks here and I'm always amazed at how ready they are willing to help.
"Good Luck!"

·
Premium Member
11,179 Posts
Don't know about the Vet conversion, but the GEHA could be used as a teaching aid for a doctorate course in mechanical engineering.
Never heard of one of those before so I looked it up and found the folks selling them are pretty proud of them, asking around $375. :eek:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Never heard of one of those before so I looked it up and found the folks selling them are pretty proud of them, asking around $375. :eek:
My first acquaintance with a GEHA was at age twelve or so at a friend's uncle's farm in Vermont. I watched him retrieve the GEHA from the barn where it lived and use it to shoot a bird in flight - I think it was a crow - at about thirty yards, which left me thinking I'd just witnessed the most spectacular rifle shot EVER! On inquiring about the seeming wonder weapon I was told it was an "old WW1 Mauser", and to me Mauser meant rifle, not shotgun. Yes, there's one in our rifle rack, but purely as a decorator. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts