The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if one could buy A.P bullets to reload with. Or penatrator bullets. I have seen A.P ammo for sale before. I don't want to buy the ammo, just looking to do some reloading. I can't find any site that sells the bullets for reloading. I know the reloading supplies are rare at this point in time. In the next 5-8 months who knows.:confused:

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Try Bartlett's Reloading or Jeff Bartlett. They used to carry AP projectiles from time-to-time. Of course, as you said, good luck with finding just about ANY reloading components these days.

Don't forget that VP (Uncle Joe) wants to ban armor piercing ammo, so you may have set upon an impossible task. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've seen small lots on ******* from time to time, be forwarned you better be willing to empty your wallet.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I wouldnt bother with them. accuracy isnt as good as regular lead core jacketed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Not gonna rush out & get them now. Thats for sure.

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
To quote the "do you feel lucky" bank robber --I gots to know.

Why?

I mean, I don't want the government telling me I CAN'T have armor piercing ammo. Ain't none of their damn business what kind of ammo I have.

But - why would you want any? Just don't make no sense to me.

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
For killing Cadillacs, what else!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I had a small batch of 143 gr steel core penetrators for my .308. I loaded them over something like 45 gr. of Varget and tried to drill the 1.250" steel plate at the pack of my land. 250 yds out. I couldnt get them to hold a group the size of the plate, (16") and the ones that did hit were only cratering the steel about 1/2". Normal lead core Amaxes do about the same amount of cratering and hold just under and inch group at that range.
Ill leave them 'penetrators' for the 'sheenguns'..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The cores are very small, and probably not intended for penetrating steel, I figure theyd really shine shooting thru brick or stone.. But if you cant see your target, why shoot at it?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Like Alpo said, I do not want the government telling me what I can and can't have. If I want some, fine. I will buy some. If I do not want any, I won't buy any.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after reading info from people that have used these before, they don't really seem like they would work out all that great. So heres my problem. I have what I consider lightweight guns. 223 ,243, m1 carbine. I'm looking at going with a 30-06 rifle. Reason being 30-06 is easy to pick up around here. I also have a good amount of brass to reload for this caliber. I am looking for a bullet for this caliber that will punch through quarter inch steel at say 50 yards if that is possible. I've reloaded for pistol mainly,not rifle. So this is new to me figuring out what bullet to go with.

·
Registered
18,744 Posts
i shoot 150's and 180's SPBT or SPFB in my 3006.

I havn't actually tried a penetration test.. but I know on one outing took my spinner target.. which I used to only use with 22lr..., probably shooting the 180gr, I shot the target amnd at the end of the day when i loade dit back up. the 1/2" plate spinners had gouges in them from the 30-06.. they were at least 3/4's penetrated with a convex dimple in back wher ethe metal may have only had 1/8 left. had they been 1/4".. i'm SURE they would have penetrated.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Don't know if this helps you or not, but I did a penitration test back in 1971. Had some really old GI .30 armor piercing ammo and 1/4" mild steel plates. Shot them at about 25 feet. Spaced them about a foot apart, and as I recall, 2 or 3 were pierced. From that test, I gathered that (depending on the steel hardness) they would pierce 1/2 to 3/4 inch soft steel at close range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts