The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a large collection of guns from 2 late uncles. One having served in marines and the other a collector or enthusiast.

I have all paperwork on sales/trades dating back to the mid 1970’s. I am in the process of documenting them all ina spreadsheet with serial numbers and and approximate value of each.

I wanted to become familiar with all the guns so I started with the pistols. The long guns I’ve only had a few days and have yet to shoot anything other than an AR.

Any feedback or recommendations for my “collection” would be greatly appreciate. I’d like to respect what they have acquired if so many years and get to know what the are.

Thank you in advance!
Bonnie
Font Revolver Auto part Eyewear Tool

My fav here are the Python and S&W 500.

Musical instrument Wood Shotgun Art Wind instrument
Wood Art Shotgun Composite material Event

Product Tool Wood Air gun Shotgun
Wood Table Automotive design Rectangle Hardwood
Tool Air gun Wood Table Art

·
Super Moderator
43,357 Posts
A nice little collection. I suggest that you buy yourself the latest edition of The Standard Catalog of Firearms. It will be a lot easier to use that to get estimated values of each gun, rather than having to start a thread for each and every gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's quite the assortment.
The best way for us to help you with any value will be to start an individual thread for each firearm.
oh boy. That’ll take a while but will be much appreciate! I‘d really like to learn about the older rifles. I’ll work on individual pics.
A nice little collection. I suggest that you buy yourself the latest edition of The Standard Catalog of Firearms. It will be a lot easier to use that to get estimated values of each gun, rather than having to start a thread for each and every gun.
Great. I’ll get one right away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Handwriting Font Monochrome Number Writing
Handwriting Font Monochrome Writing Art
Handwriting Font Writing Number Monochrome
Handwriting Font Writing Art Symmetry

this what the last inventory he took. When I’m done I am done with mine have to compare. Not all we’re there and possibly some that were not listed.

·
Super Moderator
43,357 Posts
If you do post them here for us to help you, you are going to need multiple pictures of each gun, it its own thread. This link will tell you what we need:

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Wow BJ....you have a lot of....an enjoyable task before you.

Purely a thought on my part and, probably not a very good one. Get the book gd mentioned and learn to navigate a couple auction sites. Use those 2 or 3 for most of the guns. For here, pick out a half dozen or dozen of your favorites and post separate threads on them with good photo's of the entire firearm and any stampings. On the rifles and shotguns you'll probably have to pull them down to find all the marks/stamps.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you do some internet auction comparing as sharps4590 mentioned, be sure to use the "advanced search" functions to look at completed auction listings. There's often a big difference between what sellers are asking to get and what buyers are willing to pay.

I'd also suggest changing those tags that are taped to some of the guns over to being attached with string or plastic coated twist ties. Even scotch tape can leave a messy residue if left on long enough.

And X2 what BrianJK said!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Very nice Bonnie,

Very nice.

Sorry for your loss. (But) You must have been very Special to each off them, to leave you such a nice collection.

I agree on the oil em' up comment. 👍

*As an aside, I would not leave tape on those wood stocks for long. Take them off, put hang tags through the trigger guards. Clean the tape residue off. That can create a problem you can avoid, depending on how long they have been on there. Use Murphy's Oil Soap or the like, to clean them off. You may have to use alcohol wipes first, if the glue sticks.(Goof off, etc.?) Be gentle, you do not want to remove coating/varnish/finishing treatments.

Nice Collection.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thanks Joe. My name is Ken, Not Kent. 🤔😉😂

·
Super Moderator
43,357 Posts
Kent just so you know the OPs name is Bonnie. Bonnie what a Nice collection you have inherited. Are you going to keep any of it or are going to try and sell them all?
It took me three times reading the entire thread to find where the name Bonnie, came into play. When Trap said Bonnie, I looked at every post that she made and saw nothing. Then looked again when the next post was made and again did not see it. Just now, reading your post, I looked again a lot slower and there it is hiding down at the bottom left of the first picture.

·
Super Moderator
12,290 Posts
When you catalog thoes guns, jot down the SN# and scope SN# sometimes the scope is worth more than the gun.
Oil each one after your done handling it.
What a fun project.
Be sure to check each one to make sure it is unloaded.
I catalog mine in this order.
Gun Manufacturer
Model
Caliber
SN #
Scope manufacturer
Scope model
SN #

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looking at the handwritten list, was reminded of a line from Steel Magnolias- "That child has the handwriting of a serial killer....." :p

Another point I would bring up- a standard Homeowner's insurance policy only covers around $2,000 in firearms, ammo and accessories- and you are WAY beyond that point. If you are planning to keep these, not only are a couple of good safes needed, but you may want to look at insuring them separately from your regular insurance. I looked at several sources, and chose collectinsure for mine.
Collectibles Insurance Services | Collect Insure - Collectibles Insurance Services

·
Super Moderator
12,290 Posts
Looking at the handwritten list, was reminded of a line from Steel Magnolias- "That child has the handwriting of a serial killer....."
Yep! the Uncles hadn't made it to the computer age yet......with the invention of Microsoft Word you can now make copies. (y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts