The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this today he wanted $185 but we haggled a bit is this a good deal I hope so because I bought it it has a case hardened frame very nice

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds good to me.I own an ASM 51 and it is one of my favourites.By the way if you have feeler guages ,put one between the barrel and cyl and post the figure. Mine is .004,the tightest of all my BP revolvers.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a gauge but it is very tight closer than my new uberti 58 I'm having trouble outing up pics

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the 2 I own are the equal of any of the others I own.No problems pretty good fit and finish.They are both late 80s models. Came from EMF in California.I think the quality might vary over the decades like alot of other things.A company might not be the same company ten years later.I think ASM was obsorbed into Uberti?:)

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
ASM quality was always spotty. Soft internal parts that wore quickly was the most common complaint. Uberti did not take over ASM. The case hardening is an acid wash.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good info Hawg.I am not a heavy user of my ASM pistols,maybe 200 rds max threw each.But they look good and shoot good so far.Maybe the soft internals help them be the smoothest of my replicas?:DI have about 8 of these things and don't shoot them often enough to wear them out.;)Don't despair Brick ,just shoot it as long as it lasts,and repair as needed.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Shoot it and don't fix it til its broke. VTI may have parts for ASM, if not IIRC Pietta parts can be modified to fit.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I thought you were selling, I was gonna ask were to send the money order. nice buy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got to shoot the asm 51 navy today shoots good I had no malfunctions at all it shoots high about 9 inch good enough for now it was only 25 degrees hear I will fine tune it in better weather. Over all I think it was a great buy for $165 I like it much better than the uberti made 58 remington it fills cheap in comparison

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
my open top are my favorite to shoot too. I got a 51 reb. in 44 that is cool and a dance bros. that I like a lot too. they are all fun though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just for general information Armi San Marco was not absorbed by Uberti. Actually Armi San Marco was the first full scale manufacturer of replica percussion revolvers starting with the 1847 Walker in around 1963. ASM made more different models of replica revolvers than anyone else in the 1960-70's. Another interesting bid of information that the Colt people don't like to hear is that many of the parts supplied to Colt for their 2nd Generation revolvers from Val Forgett via Uberti were obtained from Armi San Marco. Uberti models were pretty much limited to the 1851 Navy, 1861 Navy, 1860 Army, Griswold & Gunnison, Leech & Rigdon, and the Remington New Model. ASM produced all the big frame revolvers (Walker & Dragoons), small frame revolvers as well as the same revolvers produced by Uberti with the exception of the Leech & Rigdon and the Griswold & Gunnison. ASM also were the first to produce the brass frame Colt models and Remingtons.

http://rprca.tripod.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts