The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question for those people who reside in the states of Arizona, or Nevada.
About right around the year 1999, I remember seeing something on TV and then next reading about this in IIRC was Shotgun News magazine.
What it was, was and advertisement for a company offering self style storage lockers available for Firearms, I'm particular the company was targeting California residents who didn't want to register THIER weapons as "Assault Weapons". They were offering to either sell, or long term rent one of these lockers similar to a public storage unit, so tenants could bring THIER firearms to store them outside of California in either Nevada or Arizona. California residents could legally store THIER guns there, and not have to register them as California assault weapons and still possess them legally all at the same time. I think the facility may have also had a built in shooting range on site too.
Does anyone remember the names of any of these places/facilities/company's? I may consider such an option but I don't remember who was offering these.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry this post is so long.

·
Premium Member
20,768 Posts
We have gun ranges here that do that. They are in the other suburban counties (not Cook). So called assault weapons are outlawed in Cook County.
From one gun range website.
What about lockers?
Lockers will be available: Small (handguns only) $125/yr; Large $175/yr.

You can also store your own safe $150/yr. Access to lockers during business hours. We will have a 24/7 security system monitoring the premises.

If you live in Chicago or Cook County you can own these guns but you can't store them at home.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
COOK County outlawed Assault weapons?? That means Vegas and Henderson? When did this happen? I went to a Las Vegas gun show about 10 years ago and everything was for sale...no Assault Weapons ban.

I guess I should not be surprised as the Nevadians re-elecet Reed and Nevada is basically a liberal state.

LDBennett

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
COOK County outlawed Assault weapons?? That means Vegas and Henderson? When did this happen? I went to a Las Vegas gun show about 10 years ago and everything was for sale...no Assault Weapons ban.

I guess I should not be surprised as the Nevadians re-elecet Reed and Nevada is basically a liberal state.

LDBennett
Cook County, as in Chicago, Illinois.
Las Vegas, aka Lost Wages is in Clark County, Nevada.
dc

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I wonder how prevalent non-compliance will be with this new law that outlaws the bullet button in California ???? ** I suspect there will be a lot of "felons" created by this stupid law, felons who are upstanding good citizens before this stupid law. Seems like Nevada is as bad as California when it comes to "assault weapons".

Montana and Utah are looking mighty good. Too bad the weather is so rotten compared to California near the coast. But hey, we as humans are adaptable!

LDBennett

**NOTE: The way around the law is to fix the magazine so it is not removable unless the gun is disassembled. With an AR fix the mag by blocking the mag button and reloading when you remove the rear pin and break the gun open. The other alternative requires the New York style bullet button that can not be depressed until the gun is cracked open by removing the rear pin. Other guns (like my PTR-91) require more disassembly to get to the blocked mag button. Some with fixed mags can be loaded singly through the ejection port.

The regulations have not been tested for the above approaches but they certainly follow the intent of the law. We'll have to see if the CA DOJ in all its stupidity blocks these approaches and where the lawsuits take us.

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
Take the easy, inexpensive, way out. Home Depot, and I'm sure others, sell for well under a hundred dollars, a wall storage "safe" that fits between the studs (in the back of your closet?). OR, put it in the wall of your den, bedroom, etc., and cover it with a full length mirror. Take them out ever 6 months for a wipe down and put back in storage.

Reactions: carver and drymag

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
I don't own any Assault Weapons. I do have a few ARs, M1A and a semi-auto MAK90. I'd like one, but the cost of the Federal Stamp is just too much for my taste (besides, not being a trained dog or circus animal, I refuse to jump thru the hoops required to own one) as well as the State and Federal requirements for security of any real Assault or full-auto fire capable weapons.

But, Oh Boy - would I LOVE to have a Thompson, an M2 Carbine or an MP40........... (I'd end up in the Poor House buying all of the ammo or components to fire them). I used to be a Doorgunner way back a long time ago(M60D), and I've fired M16A1 and M14 rifles and don't have any desire to own any of those (well, maybe an M14).

Too bad some of the Communistic States require law abiding citizens to lock-up and store semi automatic rifles as if they WERE evil and a danger to civilization. End of rant.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
braking into your house
If a thief steals it and gets caught then blames you. The serial numbers and dates will be a problem. If you have a fire and the FD see's them and then reports them, another problem. There is no good solution. Moving has problems of relatives left behind, jobs left behind and cost associated.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Take the easy, inexpensive, way out. Home Depot, and I'm sure others, sell for well under a hundred dollars, a wall storage "safe" that fits between the studs (in the back of your closet?). OR, put it in the wall of your den, bedroom, etc., and cover it with a full length mirror. Take them out ever 6 months for a wipe down and put back in storage.
I hadn't thought of that... That could solve some of my problems...

Reactions: carver

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
I liked my idea so much I ordered one for my walk in closet. Right now my Wingmaster stands in a corner. I thought I would try this with a HIGH VOLTAGE sign on it.

I do NOT have any ASSAULT WEAPONS or illegal firearms. Just looking at this from another angle.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
No matter how hard you try and hide them in your house, a search warrant search will find them. The Government always wins so look for legal loop holes like fixed magazines. The basic requirement of an assault weapon is a removable magazine. If you have to take the gun apart to change the magazine or load the gun then the gun is not an assault weapon. Or at least common sense says that but who knows about the state DOJ's or the courts??? These assault weapon definitions are always controversial it seems.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
20,768 Posts
This is not all of Illinois just Chicago and Cook County. The rest of the state has no ban on these guns. The rest of the state you can own pretty much anything you want.

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
I have a Mini 14 which for now is not a problem. Not really a semiauto rifle guy myself but appreciate you folks that are. I say we all pool our money together and buy a big island somewhere. We could call it America, Land of the free and home of the brave. No one seems to be using that handle anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
The logic flaw is that you can only "own" guns in your state of legal residence. If you're a California resident then you can only own guns that you legally purchased in CA or legally transferred here from another state.

If one owns a gun that's illegal in California, storing it out of state may help hide it but it won't make it legal for a California resident to own.

You see, the California Legislature and Governor know what's best for you and they want to protect you. o_O:mad:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts