Astra / Star (Echeverria) 45/70 Dbl. Gun?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

GunHawk
    (8/31/01 11:26:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Astra / Star (Echeverria) 45/70 Dbl. Gun?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello....have any of you ever seen or heard of the Astra/Star 45/70 double gun that was made before they went belly up? I'm looking at getting one I found but can't find a reference or value on same. It looks like a double barrel exposed hammer shotgun.

Thanks In advance....
    -------------------------------
    "Fill your hands you son-of-a-b---h!" Rooster Cogburn

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/1/01 8:07:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Astra / Star (Echeverria) 45/70 Dbl. Gun?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astra and Star were two completely different companies - I am not aware of a collaboration between the two. Astra did have a small sideline of special shotguns and double guns - this is probably one of that group. They were fairly limited production pieces, normally very nicely done. The shotguns in excellent condition will normally run $350 to $500 - a double gun with a rifle barrel will probably fetch an additional 30% or so. These are very rough figures, and the market swings widely depending on your area.

Welcome to the board! Take time to read through the various forum headings - we have a lot of categories. This question here would likely have been best served in "What's it Worth?" forum - second from top. But heck - we takes em as we sees em!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Xracer
    (9/1/01 8:34:44 am)
    Welcome GunHawk! Stick around for a while....lots of interesting people and subjects here.

GunHawk
    (9/1/01 1:02:08 pm)
    Thank you gentlemen....(I'm doing some assuming),

Astra and Star did get together and not so long ago went bankrupt or some other kind of manner to disolve the business just to be able to reorganize and get going again!

Thanks for the 45/70 tip...the gun really has my interest...and you're probably right about the value thing but I wanted most to know if anyone knew something about this gun.

And thanks, I'll be around some. I just found this board last night. I'm ex-law and a FFL dealer in Wisconsin.

Jim
    GunHawk
    ---------------------------
    "Fill your hands you son-of-a-b---h!" Rooster Cogburn

Bob In St Louis
    (9/1/01 3:58:54 pm)
    I am familiar with the two company's products prior to about the mid 1980s - not too familiar with the reorganization. I knew they both went out of business sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. One combined company now? Interesting.

I am an old C&R person myself - like the pre 1945 stuff.

Bob In St Louis
    (9/2/01 8:25:20 pm)
    Wow - found the auction on Auction Arms - bid was at $900 and still not even to the reserve - maybe these puppies are more rare than I anticipated!