AT&T marginal service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PRR1957, Jul 12, 2020.

1. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Ever since last Monday from about 9:00 am to about 11:30 pm, I have had almost no service from AT&T for are cell phones, with dropped calls to calls not connecting, and if I can get a call to connect, the party I’m calling tells me that I am fading in and out. Text messages take multiple attempts to send and when trying send, it takes over five minuets. I also have to use my cell phone to check email and Internet searches do to a lighting stick to are house a month ago which killed are Hughsnet Internet service, which has turned into a battle with are home owners insurance. They claim that is an “Act of God”. I’m not sure what this weekend will be as for my service, so I posting thus now, for it mite be until later tonight before I can get on this forum again. This is affecting are three cell phones and one Ipad. The AT&T store nor their corporate tell us that they are aware of any problems with their service. This has been a problem in the past, but this is the worst as of late.

I was told that in are area that AT&T rents cell sites from Verizon. What I believe is that when cell usage picks up, Verizon is throttling back cell service to AT&T customers. Any body know of truth to that ?

2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Marginal service and out right lies are why I dropped AT&T. I went with Spectrum and had good service from then with no BS and a much better price!

shootbrownelk and BlackEagle like this.

3. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

I had Alltell and was out of contract when AT&T bought them out. They said my plan would stay the same, lie. My coverage would stay same, lie. My phone would still work as before, lie. Customer service was horrendous so I dropped them and went to Verizon. I figured why pay double markup on rented tower time when I can get it right from the guys who own the towers. I'm having troubles recalling a time when my service was poor, and it's been 8 or 10 years

shootbrownelk, one3 and Winchester94 like this.
  4. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Alltel was the best...I have Century link(interweb) and it goes out about 10 times a day for 3-10mins-GUESS WHY????I can't even type the word....So tomorrow when I'm back on with office manager #2 explaining why the 88% bill payment is 100% correct as my service only worked 88% of the month.Logic and 3rd grade math eludes many people.

Winchester94 likes this.
  5. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

AT&T used to be the company. Now they are garbage!!

shootbrownelk likes this.
  6. chaswea

chaswea Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have voice over internet a home land line and just love it $7.50 a month.

BlackEagle and shootbrownelk like this.
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Through AT&T?

shootbrownelk likes this.
  8. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Sounds more like: Little Roasting...Lots of complaininng....

9. chaswea

chaswea Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ooma.com

howlnmad likes this.
  10. PRR1957

Complaining, yes. When you sign a contract with a service provider and that service provider does not deliver that service that you have to make monthly payments to, and you choose to quit that service provider for in essence breach of contract from that service provider, by either buying out of that service, which is effect an extortion fee, or just quit payment and then get hounded by a collection agency, which has an negative effect on your credit rating.

AT&T is a company that only cares about its profit, not its customers, and after my experience with them along with with a previous experience with Sprint, I can not, nor will not recommend either of those cell services, and actually discourage other people from buying into those services.

drymag likes this.
  11. tango1niner

tango1niner Well-Known Member

No cable, never had it and don't want it thanks. I have a Verizon " Jet Pack " for my home computer internet service. I use it for my iPad when traveling. Smaller than a pack of cigarettes.Works pretty good.

BlackEagle likes this.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Over the past few years, we have had several threads about how sorry the service is with AT&T. I have relayed this a couple of times, in those previous threads - I used to have Cingular, which in this area was AT&T. Where I lived, I just never could call out or get incoming calls because the service truly sucked. One day, my son was visiting and he got a call. When he finished, I asked him what service he had and then we sat next to each other on the couch and compared phones. He had four bars and I didn't have any at all. He had Verizon, and since my "contract" had recently expired, I dropped Cingular and joined Verizon. That has to have been 20 years ago.

BlackEagle likes this.
  13. PRR1957

Surprisingly, today I have a decent signal service, but this is not the norm. I have one bar out of four for signal strength which is usual. What is really annoying is that AT&T tells me that are marginal service is acceptable to them. I found several blogs/forums online of disgruntled AT&T customers and heard of a cell signal booster that can be installed at home, but AT&T wants to charge for it. It’s not like I live out in the middle of no where. There are two cell towers one to the North and to the South of me about four miles each way. Both towers have a clear line with no tall obstructions in their path. As strange as it may sound, my reception seems to almost depend on which way the wind is blowing. Today the wind in my area is NNW.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  14. Sgt Shultz II

Sgt Shultz II Active Member

Years ago I had AT&T phone service. I worked at the airport 8 miles away but I could not call home from the airport or receive calls there so I dumped them and their added fees for everything. Then AT&T bought Direct TV, which I have had for many years, and one day I got the bill for Direct TV that was higher then usual so I called them to find out why. They told me they charged me for "data" overage!! When I told them I did not have an AT&T phone they had to drop the extra charges. In other words they try to rip you off at every chance they get..

BlackEagle and PRR1957 like this.
  15. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I had ATT for years and never had trouble with their reception. When their fees got out of hand we switched to T-Mobil, saved about $70.00 a month.

SeeMor Guns likes this.