The Firearms Forum banner

At this point what difference does it make? .002

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
I am reloading for a Springfield Range Officer 1911 9mm. I just saw and
article that says 380acp, 9mm, and 38spec are the same size. http://www.pewpewtactical.com/bullet-sizes-calibers-and-types/

The specks for the 380 diameter and 9mm are .355. The 38 spec is .357.
I just bought some Berries 9mm that measure .356.
I reload for all of the above, and have bullets for all.
At this point what difference does .002 make??

#7 ·
It isn't an article for reloaders or firearms experts, it is written for people completely new to firearms and thus you can give some allowance for his generalities. Here is the exact quote:

"... the 9mm bullet is the same size as the bullet used in the .380 and the .38 Special. The only difference between the three is the amount of gunpowder behind it."

Of course he's ignoring bullet weight, cartridge case, and powder type differences as well because those are unnecessary details that would bog down the article.

#8 ·
But he's plain wrong... Different diameters.

A softball and baseball are similar in size compared to a basket ball. But they are not the same size.

That's why the general public I ignorant about firearms, because boneheads write articles with big factual errors in them.

Furthermore, by saying bullet and not projectile, the average moron will think a 38, a 380 & a 9mm all take the same ammo.

That's why you see pics of blown up guns and hand injuries on the internet. Morons at the range telling people they can shoot other ammo in their guns.

#9 ·
If you were trying to explain firearms ammunition to a youth learning to shoot would you tell them about the 0.002" difference and expect them to remember that or just gloss over that as this author did? It would have been nice of the guy used words such as "almost the same", but I don't think anyone is going to get hurt by the inaccuracy of his statement.

This is a different issue than blowing up guns by using the wrong ammo.

#10 ·
I wouldn't have said .002 difference, I would have said close to the same size, but not exactly the same size. And then used some sort of reference with 2 similar sized objects, depending on the age of the kids.

This is the SAME issue of blowing up guns using the wrong ammo.

Heck.. I can fire 9mm in my 10mm gun! just let the extractor hold it to the boltface and hope the case don't rupture, then learn how well the gun handles gas.

PLENTY of examples like this on the internet.

The .002 as a data point is immaterial. Making them know the ammo is similar but not the same is the take away.

The author failed.

Baking powder is LIKE baking soda.. but I can't use them interchangeably.

salt look slike sugar.. I can't use them interchangeably.

Naptha paint thinner looks like water in a glass. I can't drink naptha.

9mm, .380 and 38 special projectiles look similar to the naked eye... but they are different.

This dumbed down allowing of mistakes is why we have ignorant kids that grow up to be ignorant adults.

heck.. lets give them a trophy! And a participation certificate so no one feels left out.. even if half of them don't know what's going on.

That's why america is in the dumps...

.002 difference...

#13 ·
The undersized ones may not perform well for a number of reasons. There will likely be gas cutting, and possibly wiping of the lightly engraved rifling. Poor spin, lack of stabilization, reduced fps.

Sure at 10' you are gonna hit the bad guy, but it might go in him keyholed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.