The Firearms Forum banner

August 1943 Battle for Burma

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  whymememe 
#1 ·
This looks like war.

#3 · (Edited)
Below is a photograph showing Bob Jordan, along with two of his mates from training at the Saugor camp. The other men are Alf Johnson (left My Grandfathers Brother ) and 'Patto' Patterson seen to the right as we look. This image was sent to me by Gill Simmonds who is the granddaughter of Alfred Johnson and who contacted me in early March 2012. Gill had recognised her grandfather from one of the group photos shown in this story and decided to share her knowledge about his time in the months leading up to Operation Longcloth. Corporal Alfred Johnson was part of a platoon led by Lieutenant John Kerr in 1943, this unit was ambushed on 6th March whilst covering the demolitions at Bonchaung and Alfred was sadly killed in action. With the help of Gill and her family I hope to place Alfred's story on these pages presently.

from http://www.chinditslongcloth1943.com

John Kerr Later became Sir John Kerr Govenor General for Australia

#4 ·
Jack, thanks for the link, I've put it in my favorites with the Aussi SF video. My interest in the Battle for Burma was spurred by a military channel documentary about it. My heart stopped when some of the survivors said there was no way to evacuate the badly wounded and they had to deal with it in a most undisirable manner because they had to keep moving. They were your guys. Fortitude unlimited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.