Auto ordnance 1911 - when was this made?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by WEB, Feb 2, 2018.

1. WEB

WEB New Member

Wondering exact model and when it was manufactured. Serial: AOC16713
    I liked the colors so I got it a year ago. Shoots inaccurately. Back strap does not work either. Fully disassembled it and couldn't figure anything wrong with it. Put it back together and still does not work as a safety. Still fun. Just curious about it's background so maybe I can have a good reference if its worth doing any real work to it.

Attached Files:

Big Shrek likes this.
  2. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I think that's one of the old West Hurley AO's. They were pretty much junk. Kahr bought them out sometime in the 90's I think and they weren't much better. Now having said that I had one of the West Hurley's but it got stolen several years ago and it was one of the best two 1911's I've ever had. However all that was left of the original gun was the frame and slide.

[​IMG]

3. The4thhorsemen

The4thhorsemen Private Military Contractor Supporting Member

In my humble opinion any 1911 is worth having some work done to it. Even a harballer is worth putting money in to. A good gunsmith should be able to go through the pistol and make it a fantastic piece to have. If you ever want to sell it just make sure you have the receipt from the gunsmith.

Big Shrek likes this.
  4. JCByers

JCByers New Member

I have one that the serial number starts with TGM which was made I believe in 1994. The only reason I know this is because of a dated factory flyer that was inside the original box.

These guns were very poorly made with no concern of quality on the line. The ejector in mine was loose due to a broken retaining pin which I don't think was ever a full size pin and the gun would stove-pipe very often. The grip safety also failed to work, the slide is sloppy and the trigger guide was full of burrs. After replacing the ejector, grip safety and cleaning up the trigger guide mine finally cycles without problems. Another problem with mine was the frame ramp having heavy tool marks which were impossible to clean up by polishing which led to a host of feeding problems.

If you have the ambition and patience your gun is a perfect project gun to learn about the 1911's. There is a wealth of information out there to sort out it's problems which to me was gratifying in the end.

Hawg and The4thhorsemen like this.
  5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Here's the other thing that can occur...
    SARCO was selling AO KITS, as in, you pick a frame, and a slide,
    and DIY it...
    They've still got a fair amount of LDA frames and slides left...
    just not available as kits anymore...
    So technically, unless you do a background check on yer gun,
    & know the provenance, any AO could easily be a Frankengun.

The4thhorsemen likes this.