Autoloading shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by questor, Apr 1, 2009.

1. questor

questor Member

What is the advantage/reason of a "carrier lock bolt"?

I have a Remington Sportsman 48 that I got in 1955 and it works great without one. The Weatherby that I won at RMEF, has a "carrier lock bolt" and in my opinion, it is a pain in the butt.

any words of wisdom?

2. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Are you talking about something that locks the bolt open or something that locks the bolt closed unless you push it to chamber a round. I have a Rem 11-48 which is almost just like the Sportsman 48 ( I had one of those that I gave to my brother) and it will hold the bolt open till you push a release. I love those old shotguns. I have a Benelli pump that requires the push of a button in order to work the slide when initially chambering a round but it is not required when firing and cycling. I think this is something the mfg's did for liability reasons.

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

questor:

I don't know what control you are talking about exactly but my Beretta semi-auto shotgun works like this:

When the last shot is fired the bolt locks open. You then feed one shell into the chamber directly, push the bolt hold open button to close the bolt then add the rest of the shotgun shells to the magazine through the side of the receiver. This allows the gun to be ready for firing immediately with a shell in the chamber and several in the magazine.

Some shotguns have a cutoff that allow the bolt to be cycled to extract a live round without feeding a new round into the chamber. That allows the gun to have shells in the magazine and none in the chamber (when one was originally put there) so that it can be carried safely while walking about when hunting and made ready with a simple operation of the bolt.

Which of these controls are you talking about?

LDBennett