The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. I have a few firearms, but I was never interested in owning an AR 15 until all this talk of possibly banning them. So then I really got to looking at what it really is - Bought and read the shooters bible on the AR 15, and what a fine piece of equipment it is.

So I am saving some money, having a fire sale around the house actually, and I am planning to travel to a gun show in my state (Michigan) mid January in the hopes of finding a nice one to purchase. I expect to have around $2,500 on hand for it and hopefully a nice selection of accessories to go with it.

Just curious what you guys are seeing in terms of availability, selection and pricing, do I have a chance?

Specifically my first choice would be a 308, then MIL SPEC 20, not real interested in a .223, but I am also interested in buying some of those hi cap mags.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and good luck! I haven't been to a gun show in several years, so I can't help you. We have a show coming up on the 5th, and 6th of Jan that I do plan on making. Not buying, just looking.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would expect that if you find one, the price will be higher than normal. Good luck and grab one. If nothing else, see if you can get a lower receiver and build one up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would expect that if you find one, the price will be higher than normal. Good luck and grab one. If nothing else, see if you can get a lower receiver and build one up.
Oh yeah I know I'll pay through the nose, and I don't care :)

So just to be sure worst case scenario if all I could buy was a lower, I could build the rest from there? It's the lower that is what is actually considered "the gun"?

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Good luck at the gun show. I'm not sure I'd wait that long though. I ordered a lower receiver through the internet from a small mom&pop arms company machine shop.

You would be better off ordering an AR ASAP through the net to make sure you get it before any ban can happen. As for high cap mags - good luck! I managed to find 8 at 'almost' reasonable prices. I'd order some NOW if you hope to get any.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck at the gun show. I'm not sure I'd wait that long though. I ordered a lower receiver through the internet from a small mom&pop arms company machine shop.

You would be better off ordering an AR ASAP through the net to make sure you get it before any ban can happen. As for high cap mags - good luck! I managed to find 8 at 'almost' reasonable prices. I'd order some NOW if you hope to get any.
Are any of the above available for purchase on the net right now? Where do I go and what is market price for hi caps today?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Im not thinking your going to have much luck. You can order all you want but whats not there is not there. We had a lot of people coming in and seeing that we were all out of AR's and the 50 or so coming in were already paid for. They assumed they could just order one and get it. Not the case at all. Its a if you can find it, take it situation. dont be worried about what accessories it has. Accessories are not the issue, they can be had.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have been ordering parts with no problem at all. I can get some from my supplier. I also found some, lowers included at sotaarms.com. I had never heard of them before. I just built my lower out today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah no luck, I'm probably going to have to wait till I get my $ together and get to the soonest gun show after.

Say under the previous ban, was it possible to buy used from individual owners? Was it just manufacturers that couldn't sell new?

No telling what a new ban would look like, but just wondering what the previous was like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To address the subject question: I was at a local gun show week before last. And mostly what I saw were lots of ARs, AKs, lots of 5.56 and .223 ammo, and lots and lots of hi-cap magazines. And almost all the prices were sky high. All the online sources for these items must have gotten cleaned out by the gun show dealers, is what I'm figuring.

Was it selling? Some, but not a lot. I think a lot of folks are like me: since the gun show dealers have already priced the items that might get banned at prices as if they already were banned, I've decided to wait and see if Washington is really gonna thumb its nose at the populace and go against the will of the majority of the people. If Washington does, I don't see the prices I saw at the show getting much, if any, higher. And if it doesn't, I'm gonna feel really glad I waited.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
To address the subject question: I was at a local gun show week before last. And mostly what I saw were lots of ARs, AKs, lots of 5.56 and .223 ammo, and lots and lots of hi-cap magazines. And almost all the prices were sky high. All the online sources for these items must have gotten cleaned out by the gun show dealers, is what I'm figuring.

Was it selling? Some, but not a lot. I think a lot of folks are like me: since the gun show dealers have already priced the items that might get banned at prices as if they already were banned, I've decided to wait and see if Washington is really gonna thumb its nose at the populace and go against the will of the majority of the people. If Washington does, I don't see the prices I saw at the show getting much, if any, higher. And if it doesn't, I'm gonna feel really glad I waited.
I agree.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I've been avoiding gun shows for two reasons lately: don't have much money to spend and it's a nuthouse. The amount of people is insane, I've no desire to fight that crowd when I can sit in my kitchen and spend all my money at Midway and Grafs.

Maybe next month I'll go there, got a buddy who has a table next month, may piggyback on there. last gun show I worked was over a year ago now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Talked to a local gun store owner recently who just came from attending a show. Prices of high capacity mags are ridiculous right now. .223 ammo the same way. Pretty bad when some are asking a dollar a round.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
i don't know what your market is.. but I have a feeling you will be fine.

If you walked into a show down here with 2500$.. you would be virtually guaranteed to walk out with some sort of M4 and a couple clips, and perhaps an optic low to mid grade... a range bag, and a couple boxes of ammo. and maybbe a couple tactical rail goodies for the handguard.

demand went real low for a week or 2.. then prices hit almost 3k$ after a couple weeks.

guns that were 800$ one day whent to 1200$ the next day. 1500$ guns went to 2500$.. etc.

it's leveled off finally, and at the last show I went .. one dealer had guns starting at 1400 thru 2500. obviously the cheape rones had basic sites or none.. and a basic handguard with no pic rails..e tc.. and the spendier ones had quad rails floated bbls. maybee flip up sites..e tc.

556 will be the bulk of what you see. if you see 762x39, 6.8, 300acc, etc.. you will pay more. Good luck on finding a 308.

Hi, new to the forum. I have a few firearms, but I was never interested in owning an AR 15 until all this talk of possibly banning them. So then I really got to looking at what it really is - Bought and read the shooters bible on the AR 15, and what a fine piece of equipment it is.

So I am saving some money, having a fire sale around the house actually, and I am planning to travel to a gun show in my state (Michigan) mid January in the hopes of finding a nice one to purchase. I expect to have around $2,500 on hand for it and hopefully a nice selection of accessories to go with it.

Just curious what you guys are seeing in terms of availability, selection and pricing, do I have a chance?

Specifically my first choice would be a 308, then MIL SPEC 20, not real interested in a .223, but I am also interested in buying some of those hi cap mags.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Talked to a local gun store owner recently who just came from attending a show. Prices of high capacity mags are ridiculous right now. .223 ammo the same way. Pretty bad when some are asking a dollar a round.
yep.. i've seen hicap 556 mags go for 60$..

the special cartridges like 6.8 and 762.. expect to pay 60-80$ each. IF you find them.

·
Garandaholic
9,515 Posts

What he just said

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh yeah I know I'll pay through the nose, and I don't care :)
I spent decades playing with M16s...I have no real desire to own an AR now, especially not at these goofy prices. Bide your time, the price will come down. Indeed, if a ban becomes likely, you'll be able to buy them for a song from people in a panic to get "legal" before it happens. I really get funny looks from these guys peddling their ARs for $3500 at gun shows when I offer them $400. ;)

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
i'm not so sure that logic is perfectly sound.

right now ar prices are stable, but higher than they were 6wks ago. probably about 50%+.

if a BAN went into effect, it would likely be a manufacturer / part importation isuue, and pehaps a registration to be legal. A 'confiscate' style ban would be very difficult.

thus anyone with one already, might have to hoop jump a bit.. but would have one. Those without one would immediately be out of luck. you think pricesw are high right now with mere speculation. let an impending hard deadline be set after a ban legislation passes.. In those last critical few days people would have to buy one and get it amnesty registered.. you'd see prices go sky high. i predict you will see 5000$ ar's and 2000/2500$ ak's if they are banned with amnesty registration. Have seen it before on a shotgun class that went that route.. IE.. registration.

while now is not the ideal time to 'buy in', with the benefit of hindsight, since one could have bought in a basic ar for 800 $ 7 weeks ago, and now might pay 1200 for a un-opticed, basic handguard m4.. it's still better than what the cost will be IF legislation passes the house and senate and a deadline comes into sight. supplies will be low as manufacturers will only buy enough lowers and perhaps uppers to build out before the ban goes into effect.

on the other hand.. if a ban fails to pass in the next 6m.. there may be some breathing room, and ar's might drop to 1000$ by christmas, as long as there are no 'threatoned' legislations proposed.

mag bans? I'd almost bet $$ on that one... as much as I hate to say it.

ban of private sale without background check? I'm fearfull on that issue too!

I will be happy to be wrong / proven wrong.. but I'm hedging my bets and planning for the worst, while hoping for the best. if there's a smokepole toy i want.. If it is at all within reason.. I'm gonna try to get it... but that's just me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh, I don't even claim that my logic is "perfectly" sound. It's more a case of hoping I'm right. :cool:

You make some great points, too. But I guess I'm wondering just how many customers there will be at the inflated prices you propose. Sure, there will be some, but those superheated prices are gonna put better than 90% of the people out of the market, I figure. Law of supply and demand. No demand at those prices, and they have to come down.

In my hopes that we weather this onslaught, I'm having to put all my faith and trust ultimately in the hands of one person: John Boehner -- and I can't say that I care for it all that much. It was Bob Dole who caved and sold us down the river with the '94 AW ban and all I can say is, I hope Boehner is made of tougher stuff than Dole was.

You know, after 9/11, I thought the American people made it abundantly clear to the left that the topic of gun control was dead. But I didn't count on the fact that they were just taking a rest and biding their time, waiting for one of their own -- a leftist democrat whacko who believes in gun control -- to commit atrocities with a firearm. It stinks of rats, this whole tragic, messed up situation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts