The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I field striped my new Les Baer 1911 for cleaning and inspection. That went well - not too dirty and no apparent problems. As I was putting it back together the recoil spring slipped out of my hand and the guide rod took off like a rocket. My reloading, cleaning, repairing man cave is pretty crowded with lawn equipment, hardware, and tools and I heard it hit metal objects twice but it is nowhere to be found. I've torn the place apart and still no luck.

So now I need to order a new guide rod. I've looked on Brownells but could not find a guide rod specific to the Les Baer premier II. Anyone have any suggestions? Please!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
The guide rod went flying? Or the plug?

If the guide rod - this is what you want - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/947867/les-baer-custom-1-piece-recoil-spring-guide-rod-1911-government-blue

If the plug - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/655246/les-baer-custom-recoil-plug-standard-style-1911-government-blue

Both these listings are for Les Baer brand parts. You just want to make sure you order the "Government Model" sized stuff if you have the 5" pistol (which I saw you did from your picture in the other thread).

You could even buy the less expensive Colt brand guide rod or plug and they'll work with it.

This has happened to me before. It just takes some practice, especially if you have a tight bushing where you have to use a wrench.

I could try to make a little YouTube video of me reassembling mine if you want a visual aid to help.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Keep looking?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guide rod went flying? Or the plug?

If the guide rod - this is what you want - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/947867/les-baer-custom-1-piece-recoil-spring-guide-rod-1911-government-blue

If the plug - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/655246/les-baer-custom-recoil-plug-standard-style-1911-government-blue

Both these listings are for Les Baer brand parts. You just want to make sure you order the "Government Model" sized stuff if you have the 5" pistol (which I saw you did from your picture in the other thread).

You could even buy the less expensive Colt brand guide rod or plug and they'll work with it.

This has happened to me before. It just takes some practice, especially if you have a tight bushing where you have to use a wrench.

I could try to make a little YouTube video of me reassembling mine if you want a visual aid to help.
Thanks a lot. It is the guide rod that went into orbit and I just ordered one from Midway based on your link. I suspect I will find the original sometime when I'm looking for something else. Next time I take it apart and put it together I think I'll put the gun inside a pillow case. That way anything flies out should be trapped (I hope).

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Keep looking its around. Or get a new one and find the original in the spring when you get the lawn stuff out. Ive done it myself. Just the cap not the guide rod. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Never ... Never ever never never never ever put the guide rod against the barrel lug thinking its going to hold. Put the slide on and push it all the way back and slide the recoil spring over the guide rod then pull the slide forward and push the plug down and turn the busing.

·
Super Moderator
47,728 Posts
It was pretty unnerving for me to read that you had a new Les Bear 1911 and the next thread is Aw, Crap! I had horrible thoughts so I am relieved to know that it was nothing terribly serious. Just quit looking and you will find the guide rod on the day your midway order comes in.:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I second Junkking's advice.

Also, don't worry about having an extra if you find the original one. It's never bad to have some spare parts around.

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
This is not a common problem for the experienced 1911 person so once you get a little more comfortable with assembly, this wont happen. I would find it one way or another!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Never ... Never ever never never never ever put the guide rod against the barrel lug thinking its going to hold. Put the slide on and push it all the way back and slide the recoil spring over the guide rod then pull the slide forward and push the plug down and turn the busing.
I think he got the message. :eek:

Give Les a call, he might just send you one. I've never lost control of anything that big. It's always been something small flying across the room.

·
Here at TFF
33,449 Posts
Even with this tempory setback, you have IMHO, the best 1911 made. Did you happen to notice the tight lockup ? It's as loose as it will ever get and is a chore to unlock the slide. You will get used to it pretty quick.

Don't forget a range report. These 1911's are scarry accurate and will make a beginning shooter shoot like a pro. :)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got up at 5 AM and just about took the whole garage apart. Moved stuff outside, unloaded some shelves, and used a 2 million candle power spot light looking into and under everything and still cannot find the damn thing. Found a lot "stuff". Some I didn't know I had and some I had forgotten about, but no guide rod.

We've been in this house for over 15 years and stuff accumulates by the truck load. This will give me a good excuse to start cleaning out the garage and getting a little orginization. That needs to be done and I have been putting it off.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even with this tempory setback, you have IMHO, the best 1911 made. Did you happen to notice the tight lockup ? It's as loose as it will ever get and is a chore to unlock the slide. You will get used to it pretty quick.

Don't forget a range report. These 1911's are scarry accurate and will make a beginning shooter shoot like a pro. :)
I put the slide on the frame without the recoil spring and worked it back and forth. The fit is very good with almost no side to side movement and it slides as smooth as butter.

The entrance to the chamber is cupped and polished all the way around and the hood has a slight champer on the inlet edge. The feed ramp is also polished. The polish work looks like they took it down to about 600 grit because I can see polish marks. I may use some jewelers rouge and put a mirror finish on their work.

I don't think the gun had ever been field stripped because everything was so tight. It took some work to get both the slide lock pin and the barrel bushing out. It looks like the barrel and barrel bushing were individually mated because they both have the number 356 engraved.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's been five days since I lost the part. I've looked every day and still can't find it. The new guide rod is scheduled to be here Thursday so I'll be back in business this weekend (I hope).

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Look in the rafters. I had a spring plug fly up there once.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What did I do wrong?

I finally got the recoil spring guide from Midway and LB back together. It seems to function as it should until I insert an empty magazine. Then the slide will not stay back when it should. If I hold the slide back and hit the bottom of the magazine the slide stays back.

Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.