The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to go into town and get the windshield in my '07 F150 replaced (got sandblasted) and stopped in Sportsman's Warehouse on the way home. Just the odd chance they might have primers and powder...

They did! They had some IMR and some Hodgon H335. Went to get what I "saw* as being IMR 4895 in the purple label (yes, I do look at the numbers....) Turned out to be IMR 4198 and NOT 4895. Also - I didn't check the 55 grain .223 bullets... one of the boxes in the stack I picked up were 55 grain SPs and the others were the FMJs that I meant to pick up.

I don't think they let you return powder. Boy, did I screw up. I did manage to get two little trays of LP magnum pistol primes that I can use, and also 2 boxes 55 grain FMJs as well as some H335 powder.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ya IMR4198 might be a little fast for a .223, but it will work -
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

If you're loading for precision, then yep - not the greatest powder or bullet - make for some expensive foulers :confused:
No problem If your'e loading for an AR

·
Registered
890 Posts
This reminds me, I ordered 2# of lil' gun and it arrived a week ago and I still haven't opened the box to make sure my order was correct. It was the same store after all that double charged me on a order of shotgun hulls I had to get corrected.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I happened to be in Northern Kentucky for a firm birthday party. Realized that the closest Sportsman's Warehouse to my home (55 miles) was only 5 miles from my event...so dropped in. No primers at all, but they had a couple of powders, including one I'd been wanting for over a year...IMR 3031. I noticed they also had an 8lb jug of H335 and asked to see it. I thought it may be a powder I could use for .224 Valkyrie and 6mm ARC, neither of which I've loaded for (or shot), but I've completed my .224 Valkyrie AR and am getting close on my 6mm ARC. Stupidly, I set the H335 down again, whereupon the dude lurking behind me leapt to the counter and grabbed it. So...now I have a bottle of IMR 3031 that'll work for my .223 Rem loads...but I really wanted a multi-calibre powder. Gotta know what I want next time.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
It was $281. Pretty pricey, but so is everything these days. 8 1lbs will be well over $320 these days. It hurts, that’s for sure.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
LGS is selling most for 50$ pound but by the time you figure the extra shipping cost and limit of qty its about the same as online. Miss the good old days thats for sure.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I know someone who did something similar with H4895 and H4198. He was kinda stuck with it & dejected until one of his bench rester buddies told him to consider using the 4198 with 50 & 52 gr. projectiles. The bench rest shooter said he tended to get best groups with loads that were 4 or 5% off of max. It turned out that his AR liked the lighter bullets & shot them as well as the 55 gr. pills shot, out to about 300 yards.
Just a thought...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts