The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took this in from a friend for through cleaning. I'm looking for manufacture name, D.O.M. & possible value. No serial number under the grips or anywhere else on it except for the number 12. Looks to be about .32 cal.? Pics are enclosed. Thank you for any info that might be provided.
Frank
P1060646.JPG
P1060646.JPG
P1060650.JPG
P1060651.JPG
P1060652.JPG
P1060653.JPG

Edit: I missed it before but when cleaning under the grips I see that the number 12 is also stamped on the left side of the grip frame and 2 zeros(00) are stamped on the lower right side. Could the number 12 be the serial number?

Attachments

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
It has a German proof mark, so it was made after 1891. It would be hard to say who made it, there were a number of small shops making these from parts, which might have been made in Belgium. Some of these were chambered for the .32 acp cartridge. Another popular round was the .320 which is interchangeable with .32 Short Colt.

It appears to be in good condition. I would guess it would sell for $100 to $175

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a German proof mark, so it was made after 1891. It would be hard to say who made it, there were a number of small shops making these from parts, which might have been made in Belgium. Some of these were chambered for the .32 acp cartridge. Another popular round was the .320 which is interchangeable with .32 Short Colt.

It appears to be in good condition. I would guess it would sell for $100 to $175
Thanks for the info 45Auto. It helps but I'll keep looking for more. I'd like to know who or what this 'B&A' is or means. I'll also measure the bore to see just what caliber it takes because I think the ones you mention have different bullet diameters.
Frank

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Bolte & Anschutz of Zella Mehlis, falls into a group of pistols called "velodogs", circa 1890-1915 when bicycles had just become popular. Dogs didn't much like them, or the riders. So when you had the farmers dogs chasing you down the road on your bicycle, you pulled your velodog out of your pocket, and convinced them to get back on the porch.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bolte & Anschutz of Zella Mehlis, falls into a group of pistols called "velodogs", circa 1890-1915 when bicycles had just become popular. Dogs didn't much like them, or the riders. So when you had the farmers dogs chasing you down the road on your bicycle, you pulled your velodog out of your pocket, and convinced them to get back on the porch.
Thanks for the info TRAP55. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I would agree with TRAP55 but for the loose definition of "velodog." A little European revolver is not a Velodog unless it's chambered for the 5.5 velodog cartridge.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Frenchman Rene Galand developed the Velodog, and the 5.75mm Velodog cartridge for it. Velo comes from velocipede, as bicycles were first called, and he morphed that with dog. Versions of it were made in several countries, but mostly in Belgium. All these small folding trigger revolvers are "classed" as velodogs after the original design.
After about 1900 most were chambered in .22, or .25acp for some improvement over the anemic 5.75mm. I think Fiocchi still loads it, but it's been a few years since I've seen any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts