B.C. Miroku Skeet gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jim Peterson, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Jim Peterson

Jim Peterson New Member

New member here. I live and work in Japan. While owning several firearms in the U.S., I got my first gun permit here in Japan just last March. Gun ownership is highly regulated here but the hunting opportunities are very lax due to the low number of hunters.

Anyway, my first gun here was an 870 Wingmaster which I'll be using for hunting. My second gun was a Breda Serio O/U trap gun. Now I'm in the process of applying for my third gun, a skeet gun. It is a B.C. Miroku Model OT. I doubt this model was ever exported but don't know for sure. Anyway, I'm curious to know more about the gun and so I'll post a few photos here and hope that the collective knowledge of forum members here can shed some light on things.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BlackEagle and rawright54 like this.
  2. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

European shooters have been using Miroku shotguns in the Olympics for years.
    Looks like you are ready to play with the big boys.:)

rawright54 likes this.

3. Jim Peterson

Jim Peterson New Member

I feel very fortunate to have access to guns like this. Shelves in Japanese gun shops are lined with used guns for very reasonable prices. The average age of gun owners in Japan is rising rapidly and according to local regulations, if you are no longer using a gun (whether because of age or any other reason) you are required to either turn it in to the police, return it to a gun shop or sell it.

4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

Most of the Brownings sold here are made by Miroku. They make some very good shotguns. I didn't know you could own guns in Japan.

5. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have 2 Mirokus: a Browning SS and a Charles Daly M500 (poor man's Browning) Both are beatuifully made. My only issue is that effective in July 2019, it will be illegal to hunt wild game of any kind with lead ammo in CA, and I cannot use steel shot in either of these guns.

6. Jim Peterson

Jim Peterson New Member

You have to jump thru more hoops than a circus tiger, but it is possible!

BlackEagle likes this.
  7. Old Guns

Old Guns Active Member

You have a Miroku Model OT. I think this model has been exported. It is a much higher grade then is usually seen. Miroku made guns under the names Charles Daly, Browning, and Winchester. There are most likely other names as well. The Miroku marked guns guns are of very good quality but slightly different then the Brownings and Winchesters. . If I am correct it uses leaf spring as opposed to coil springs. These springs can be hard to find and are a real bear to remove and replace compared to the coil springs.

8. Jim Peterson

Jim Peterson New Member

Here in Japan the OT (skeet version) preceded the model 1800 and 2800 skeet guns. I'm told the diamond mark indicates a higher grade. What I'm most curious about is the date of manufacture. I'm guessing some time in the sixties.

I've heard conflicting information about the spring (leaf or coil) from local gun shops. Once my permit clears and I take possession of the gun I'll see how it works and if needed I may send it in to Miroku for a thorough cleaning. At that point I can probably get more info about the gun. Unfortunately the Japanese Miroku web site has no links for contacting them about gun info...

BlackEagle likes this.