The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped over today to tell my buddy there really is no hope for POS 742 and he says-check out these rounds...we tried them today in a Browning autoloader .270,chambered funny,would'nt fire...then tried in Savage .270 bolt and would'nt close.I asked where they came from...oh an old guy that has been loading forever...Thought they looked kinda weird but 60yr old eyes can play tricks......so took 2 home-pulled-immed put on scale-146.4gr FMJ...I've loaded 1000s of 7.62 FMJ and these looked REAL familiar-yep-.308.w/cannalure.....So moral of story-if YOU did'nt load it...either don't shoot it or really trust person that did.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm trying to follow what could of happened here? A .308 bullet seated in .270 casing??? Please clarify.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry should have just stated facts,rather than story.....Bottom line 147gr .308 FMJ loaded in .270 case...not just 1-about 30...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I've heard of using .30-06 brass to make (short) .270 brass...but never heard of anyone using .270 to make .30-06. Hope they were trimmed to .30-06 length otherwise there is a .30-06 in pieces somewhere. :eek:

And yup...a very good reason to not shoot someone else's reloads.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently either I've had too many beers before relating what happened or......Someone put .308 147gr FMJ in .270 cases and gave to someone else to SHOOT in a .270.....Hopefully I make sense now.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Jeez. Does this old timer still have all of his fingers?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Apparently either I've had too many beers before relating what happened or......Someone put .308 147gr FMJ in .270 cases and gave to someone else to SHOOT in a .270.....Hopefully I make sense now.
Nah...I might've had one too many Gentleman Jack's last night. :D
I was under the assumption that these were auction/yard sale purchases and your friend was just going off of the .270 headstamp and thought that's what they still were.

I don't think you seat even a boat-tailed .308 in a .277 neck without collapsing the case shoulder. But...I've never tried it either. :eek:

·
Registered
672 Posts
We were at a turkey shoot one sunday afternoon after church, my Dad was tied for first so they had to go into an extra, shootoff round, he didn't bring enough 20 ga ammo for his sxs Fox BDE, a friend gave him a box of his reloads to use, one of them was double charged, the shotgun was chambered for up to 3" mag, the 2 3/4 double charged shell with #8 shot all but ruined the gun, blew the action open, chipped a good size piece of wood off of the walnut stock where it meets the action, cracked the vent rib in 2 places, and put 2 peices of brass into my Dad's eye, and peppered his face with various schrapnel, mostly brass, which were removed successfully with surgery, we had it checked out, no barrel bulge or anything, action still operates fine and locks up tight, but a once very attractive gun, is not so attractive any more, repaired the stock, left the vent rib, I still have the gun and shoot it sparingly, has more sentimantal value than anything, it was Dad's favorite pheasant/quial gun, I could never hit **** with it though, I never liked the 2 bead system on the rib,

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And now for the rest of the story.......Old guy died last year,son does'nt shoot..so son gave away all the reloads he had boxed up...He did'nt own a .270 so he necked these up for his .06....no markings to indicate that...son did'nt have a clue...so thought they were .270...everyone down the line did'nt think twice until I brought up the fact something was wrong and pulled 1 to prove to 3 people the facts...They thought I was BSing them to get the brass:)....Just got off phone to buddy-he's calling the son to warn him to call anyone he gave reloads to.....DON"T shoot any...Now they want to know if they can use them in a 30.06.....I told them for safety sake,I'll give .25 a rd for componets......I guess it was a one day early Christmas present that the .270/.06 did'nt fire in the Browning....God takes care of drunks and fools:)

·
Registered
363 Posts
:eek: Why do I get the feeling he took .270 cases and just forced .308 bullets in them. :yikes:

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
sound slike he simply made some 3006 out of 270.. or at least.. that's what he ws trying to do anyway.

looking at the brass side by side.. I can see doing so / mistake etc..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Before I started reloading I never thought twice about picking up a bag of reloads from the gun show, or somewhere else. Now that I see what can go wrong and how easy it is to do so, I will be shooting my reloads only.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
And now for the rest of the story.......Old guy died last year,son does'nt shoot..so son gave away all the reloads he had boxed up...He did'nt own a .270 so he necked these up for his .06....no markings to indicate that...son did'nt have a clue...so thought they were .270...everyone down the line did'nt think twice until I brought up the fact something was wrong and pulled 1 to prove to 3 people the facts...They thought I was BSing them to get the brass:)....Just got off phone to buddy-he's calling the son to warn him to call anyone he gave reloads to.....DON"T shoot any...Now they want to know if they can use them in a 30.06.....I told them for safety sake,I'll give .25 a rd for componets......I guess it was a one day early Christmas present that the .270/.06 did'nt fire in the Browning....God takes care of drunks and fools:)
I see, that makes better sense. Im sure the ol timer trimmed them back properly and loaded them properly. But this is exactly why i do not use caliber designation headstamped brass for necking up or down. I make .300 AAC from LC 5.56 brass, as there is no 5.56 or .223 on the headstamp. same for .243 or, 7mm-08 0r .260 rem out of LC 7.62 brass. Its just smart, and prevents confusion later.

·
Super Moderator
28,120 Posts
I see, that makes better sense. Im sure the ol timer trimmed them back properly and loaded them properly. But this is exactly why i do not use caliber designation headstamped brass for necking up or down. I make .300 AAC from LC 5.56 brass, as there is no 5.56 or .223 on the headstamp. same for .243 or, 7mm-08 0r .260 rem out of LC 7.62 brass. Its just smart, and prevents confusion later.
That makes some good sense there.

I do use 30-06 for making 270, maybe I should stop doing that. They're easy for me to tell apart because I use Nosler BT and go by the colors but that could definately through someone a curve ball. I guess the worse they could do is get fired from an 06 and richochette down the barrel.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Before I started reloading I never thought twice about picking up a bag of reloads from the gun show, or somewhere else. Now that I see what can go wrong and how easy it is to do so, I will be shooting my reloads only.
that reminds me.. back when i got a remington 35, I couldn't find ammo locally, and bought a box of reloads ( cast lead ) from a guy... I never got around to shooting them.. and got some hornady instead.. I'm sur ethey are int he back of my gunsafe somewhere.. it was way back before I reloaded.. I need to pul those suckers, dump powder and recharge...

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Just do one and compare it to published data. IF everything looks to be on the up and up shoot one and inspect/measure the case for pressure signs.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
That makes some good sense there.

I do use 30-06 for making 270, maybe I should stop doing that. They're easy for me to tell apart because I use Nosler BT and go by the colors but that could definately through someone a curve ball. I guess the worse they could do is get fired from an 06 and richochette down the barrel.
Yeah, shooting undersize down the tube probably won't damage anything besides the accuracy. Going the other way could be a recipe for a kaboom (or at the very least a BIG sneeze!).
I do know a guy that mistakenly ran a .30-06 into a .270 chamber. It WILL work if the bullets aren't crimped tightly...the bullet will get seated back farther into the case by the bolt face. Luckily he questioned the bolt closing force and opened the bolt to see why it closed so hard. the bullet got seated back into the case roughly another quarter inch. PO Ackley did dome some studies on this and a .308 will swage down through a .277 bore. His findings didn't make a kaboom, but they definitely had high pressure. Either way, I wouldn't want to be hanging onto that rifle!!! :eek:

Forming .270 from .30-06 isn't a problem except the brass will be about 0.050" too short. Would probably never be a problem unless you're loading cast lead for light plinker/varmint loads.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
would the throat on a loaded lightly crimped 30-06 crush enough to chamber into a 270? i guess if the projectile set back and the brass rolled in?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
would the throat on a loaded lightly crimped 30-06 crush enough to chamber into a 270? i guess if the projectile set back and the brass rolled in?
If it's a non-canellure bullet with a light crimp the barrel throat can seat the bullet further back into the case. It probably won't swage the neck down though.
That's what happened to the guy I mentioned above (I can't call him a friend but I did see the case he almost fired).

If it's a good tight crimp and/or in a canellure, I suspect you'd have to really jam the bolt home to overcome the crimp &set the bullet back. I still doubt anyone would have the strength or lack of common sense to try and force the bolt closed. I'll have to dig through Ackley's books again sometime...I forget which one had those "tests" and how he actually did them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts