The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy crap! So I built up even more of my stockpile last year, and hadn't really been looking at supplies. I decided to look up supplies last night. RMR bullets is on a 10 week back order Midsouth Shooters Supply is sold out of basically every powder and I didn't bother checking primers.

In glad I was thinking years ahead lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yup. I ordered some Hornady bullets from Midsouth for my M4 back on September 1st. Back ordered. Still waiting. The package will probably not arrive until the day AFTER Trump puts down the insurrection !

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
There is advantages to shooting less than common.....that is to say "weird" stuff. Everything I've needed or wanted has been "in stock"........ 🤗

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
There is advantages to shooting less than common.....that is to say "weird" stuff. Everything I've needed or wanted has been "in stock"........ 🤗
So what happens when everybody starts going for the “weird” stuff because they can’t find any of the “normal” stuff? I’ve already heard of people advising to look for the oddball calibers since there is less demand and ammo will be more readily available for them.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Gotta agree with WillieB.
Right now you might find some of the oddball calibers at the various gun shops.
When the oddball stuff runs out, you'll be having an even harder time finding ammo as the manufacturers continue to focus on producing high demand ammo.

·
Premium Member
9,862 Posts
So what happens when everybody starts going for the “weird” stuff because they can’t find any of the “normal” stuff?
You guys clearly don’t understand what @sharps4590 is talking about when he says weird. We’re talking custom brass and bullets. He’s helped me with a few. Had to start with a chamber casting which let’s you know what you have dimensionally. My rifle isn’t any known cartridge. We then identified brass (9.3X72r) that was as close as we could get, I ordered custom dies from CH4D, a custom bullet mold from Accurate and am now able to load for that rifle. Still have no idea what it’s chambered for but I can load for it.....and just saying it shoots sub MOA groups with iron sights. I don’t know of many people that have the ability let alone will go through that exercise to bring a 130 year old rifle back to life.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Not really Freedom. Lots of guys on here can afford that stuff. It's a matter of priorities...and what a fella wants to do. We don't take vacations, don't have a camper, 5th wheel or motor home, certainly not a lake/river/mountain/beech house, haven't had horses or kids at home for almost 30 years and my two sons have always been self sufficient in that they haven't bled Dad dry and, I haven't hunted or fished out of state or went on a guided hunt in 20 years or more. We don't do a lot of things lots of other folks do. I haven't been skiing in 15 years...which reminds me, I need to sell my skis. I'm probably not going to go again. Oh, we also don't have any grandchildren, I wish we did. I'm certain they would change priorities substantially. Soooo...yeah, after we make our tithes and offerings and support a couple missions, I spend my money on rifles I like. It just so happens they're almost always chambered in weird cartridges, by choice....lol!

Willie, what's your definition of "oddball?" I've a suspicion yours and mine would differ significantly. However, if you feel froggy, leap and, welcome to the dark side! The water's fine, there' plenty of room and it's not only a lot of fun but an interesting pass time and a fair education in rifles, cartridges and ballistics.

John, I can assure you that is of absolutely zero concern for me.

With the weird stuff I shoot the likely hood of 99% of the shooters going after any of it is more than a million to one. First you'd have to find a rifle chambered for most of the cartridges and to call them....obscure....would be understatement. I don't remember how many times I've mentioned a cartridge and some have replied with, "never heard of it." Some of them, like the one Firpo mentions, don't have a factory name or designation and there's never been any data, or store bought ammo, available, ever, anywhere in the world, except for the previous owners or whoever loaded for them, if they ever shot them. You work it up on your own. For more than a few a lathe is needed to make them from other cases, which I am also flush with and, a little mill is also an immense help. I shoot very few jacketed bullets and if need be, I can swage them. If need be I can make the swaging dies. Between swaging and casting my own bullets and, having an adequate supply of the very few I don't, along with a substantial supply of straight lead, wheelweight and linotype I'm good for probably as long as the good Lord allows me to stick around. My only difficulty some day could be primers. Should that occur, as others have mentioned, there's always the flintlocks.

In more than one post I've mentioned the Gun Control Act of 1968. I was 15 years old and it.....gave me cause for concern even then. I've worked, hoarded, tried to prepare, whatever you want to call it since then, 52 years ago. I don't have a fraction of the ammo a lot of guys do but, what I need or want I can have loaded in a couple hours.

There, long explanation concluded!

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
@sharps4590 I see where you and @Firpo are coming from. You two might be in pretty good shape. I’m thinking more of the odd mass production stuff that fewer people still shoot. Eventually even that will be hard to find as well.

Once I get this reusable primer thing figured out, I’m going to be a lot less concerned about any of it.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
lol Willie! With a few exceptions most of the odd stuff I'm talking about was never "mass" produced. Some are/were produced in small quantities or for a short period of time and some were only produced in someone's home shop. If a rifle will shoot cast bullets, that's what it gets. I prefer cast anyway. Right now 8mm jacketed bullets are fairly available in .323 diameter but I have to swage them to .318 for one of my double rifles. The other is .323. 8mm is the only jacketed bullets I'm short on and I'm in the process of rectifying that.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Once I get this reusable primer thing figured out, I’m going to be a lot less concerned about any of it.
I hope you do!!! I might not be first in line but I'll be second. To think of all the spent primers we've all thrown away aver the years.

I was making a joke lol
I thought so and I wasn't.....offended....for lack of a better word. Some of the rifle's I've bought have been pricey to me as well but, no more so than a lot of other things many of us do. If I was able to travel those rifles would have been a lot less pricey!

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
My custom 6.5x.06 WAS a factory round until the 50s...now it's a great wildcat-tons of brass-.3006/2506/270 and thanks to Creedmore/Grendel-tons of bullets out there....

·
Premium Member
4,236 Posts
Not really Freedom. Lots of guys on here can afford that stuff. It's a matter of priorities...and what a fella wants to do. We don't take vacations, don't have a camper, 5th wheel or motor home, certainly not a lake/river/mountain/beech house, haven't had horses or kids at home for almost 30 years and my two sons have always been self sufficient in that they haven't bled Dad dry and, I haven't hunted or fished out of state or went on a guided hunt in 20 years or more. We don't do a lot of things lots of other folks do. I haven't been skiing in 15 years...which reminds me, I need to sell my skis. I'm probably not going to go again. Oh, we also don't have any grandchildren, I wish we did. I'm certain they would change priorities substantially. Soooo...yeah, after we make our tithes and offerings and support a couple missions, I spend my money on rifles I like. It just so happens they're almost always chambered in weird cartridges, by choice....lol!

Willie, what's your definition of "oddball?" I've a suspicion yours and mine would differ significantly. However, if you feel froggy, leap and, welcome to the dark side! The water's fine, there' plenty of room and it's not only a lot of fun but an interesting pass time and a fair education in rifles, cartridges and ballistics.

John, I can assure you that is of absolutely zero concern for me.

With the weird stuff I shoot the likely hood of 99% of the shooters going after any of it is more than a million to one. First you'd have to find a rifle chambered for most of the cartridges and to call them....obscure....would be understatement. I don't remember how many times I've mentioned a cartridge and some have replied with, "never heard of it." Some of them, like the one Firpo mentions, don't have a factory name or designation and there's never been any data, or store bought ammo, available, ever, anywhere in the world, except for the previous owners or whoever loaded for them, if they ever shot them. You work it up on your own. For more than a few a lathe is needed to make them from other cases, which I am also flush with and, a little mill is also an immense help. I shoot very few jacketed bullets and if need be, I can swage them. If need be I can make the swaging dies. Between swaging and casting my own bullets and, having an adequate supply of the very few I don't, along with a substantial supply of straight lead, wheelweight and linotype I'm good for probably as long as the good Lord allows me to stick around. My only difficulty some day could be primers. Should that occur, as others have mentioned, there's always the flintlocks.

In more than one post I've mentioned the Gun Control Act of 1968. I was 15 years old and it.....gave me cause for concern even then. I've worked, hoarded, tried to prepare, whatever you want to call it since then, 52 years ago. I don't have a fraction of the ammo a lot of guys do but, what I need or want I can have loaded in a couple hours.

There, long explanation concluded!
When it comes to making older/oddball ammo, Vic you really are THE MAN! I've seen photos of some of your cartridges but I wish we lived closer so I could actually hold them and look at them.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Except no one I know of is offering a 156 or 160 gr. round nose, which is the natural habitat for several old 6.5's, like the Swede and Mannlicher/Schoenauer. I have enough but there is lots who don't. Hawk bullets might be, I'll have to check.

Goodness accident, thank you! I'm not so certain it's a hobby as much as it is an affliction or compulsion...lol!

Ha, Hawk does offer a 160 gr., 6.5 round "tip" they call it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts