The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 years ago my wife and I bought a plastic square jug of 20 year storage food. About a month ago I noticed the plastic seal was coming apart and it was no longer sealed. The first thing I noticed when I opened it the rest of the way is I could smell food. Upon looking closer I found many of the packets had broken seals. We keep this type of food in 60+/- degree year round.

We began trying the different food that was in the container so we could see what they were like and what I found was this. This food would be extremely handy to have during the end times because after about a month of eating it you will be begging to die. You will no longer be worried about weather you were going to survive or die. It's handy stuff.

We are considering sealing our ouw food into 5 gallon plastic buckets that are specially designed for long term storage. With a mylar bag, a vacuum cleaner, an iron, some hand warmer packets to eliminate the oxygen in the bucket, and an assortment of food I can pick my food at much less cost, and I know I will seal it good.

I am open for ideas.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
basmati rice is what I've been packing away, not much but enough for a buffer.

I use the O2 absorbers plus DE (diatomacious earth) which is fantastic stuff and has a million uses besides food storage. kills all kinds of bugs, buy the food grade and mix in about a cup per 5gal/ grain.

whole weat can be had (food grade) at any feed store for about $12/50lb sack, just need a hand mill to turn it into wheat.

as for protein, I've just been buying extra tuna/meat canned goodies.

dry my own veggies, frozen veggies are ready to dehydrate already for you.

Crisco makes excellent "butter/oil" as it has an insane shelf life without getting too rancid as do oils.

so those are my staples. bought some honey locally, about $50 almost for a gallon, that stuff will last longer than anyone alive now will ever live.

Also suppliment that with multivitamins which will be safe long past their expiration date, Emergen-C, etc... are all good. pre-packaged dried soups can be a great addition also.

don't forget spices, lots of 'em. Salt most important of course but others for flavor as well can make all the difference.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
what brand was it?

I've seen at least a couple different.

wyse and mountain.

one I saw ( can't recall name.

was shippe din bulk 5g containers or even tins that were sealed. inside each 5g tin was smaller sealed sub packs.

were yours metal or plastic?

·
Registered
18,034 Posts

I.
we do something similar. tinned meats like tuna can have quite a decent shelf life. same with the canned ham and spam and chickens. ( not awesome food.. but any is better than none ). couple that with canned vegis. ( i see some with 7 year life ).. and you have a good start.

if you keep seeds, etc. once you have enough food to make it 2ys.. you could / should be good to go.

it's that 1st year which is the hard startup for most people.

mostly we tarted this for storm prep.. but it works for whatever natural disaster.. etc.

just rotate the foods yearly... etc. we don't eat the spam.. but it is a good storeable source of protien and fat calories... which are important for survival when under stress.

we rotate the cans out when they get within a year of expiration.. and the dogs absolutely worship us.. :)

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I use the O2 absorbers plus DE (diatomacious earth) which is fantastic stuff and has a million uses besides food storage. kills all kinds of bugs, buy the food grade and mix in about a cup per 5gal/ grain.

whole weat can be had (food grade) at any feed store for about $12/50lb sack, just need a hand mill to turn it into wheat.

as for protein, I've just been buying extra tuna/meat canned goodies.

dry my own veggies, frozen veggies are ready to dehydrate already for you.

Crisco makes excellent "butter/oil" as it has an insane shelf life without getting too rancid as do oils.

so those are my staples. bought some honey locally, about $50 almost for a gallon, that stuff will last longer than anyone alive now will ever live.

Also suppliment that with multivitamins which will be safe long past their expiration date, Emergen-C, etc... are all good. pre-packaged dried soups can be a great addition also.

don't forget spices, lots of 'em. Salt most important of course but others for flavor as well can make all the difference.
We are on the same page.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
cool.

some folks hear me talk about 'prepping' and think I'm a doomsday prepper but certainly not the case. I don't have that kind of supply. But I could eek out a few weeks on what we have assuming we will be burning double the calories and potentially feeding double the people.

natural disaster, some sort of crop famine, etc. I grew up a good Boy Scout, always be prepared. There's different levels but I see friends with nothing more than a few days worth of food, guess where those friends will come in time of need?

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
There's different levels but I see friends with nothing more than a few days worth of food, guess where those friends will come in time of need?
my wife complains about the same. says my friends will be on our doorstep if the 'end of the week as we know it' occurs.

I remind her that her friends will likely be in the line somewhere too :)

mutual work for defense and resources is a task best shared by a small close group... preferably with a good, diverse skillset.

a single person.. or even a couple will have a hard time surviving alone.

you gotta sleep sometime...

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
mutual work for defense and resources is a task best shared by a small close group... preferably with a good, diverse skillset.

a single person.. or even a couple will have a hard time surviving alone.

you gotta sleep sometime...
:yeahthat:!!!

but it is hard to build s small stable group for a long period..and harder still to find replacement "partners" when openings happen!

we had a good group of 20 about 15 yrs ago..now down to 4...we do try to keep in touch but now spread out all over the lower 48...

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i'm blessed with having the same group of 6 friends, all local ( within 30m driving ), for the last 26 ys or so.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I am another that relies heavily on canned foods. Some store bought, some home made. Beans, rice, flower, corn meal, baking soda, crisco, and a lot of other stuff. I am good for the two of use for about a year, and have a garden. Water collected, form rain, the pond on my property, and neighbors ponds. Plus gallon jugs of water in the house. Looking into items for personal use, as well as trade. Tobacco, disposible razors, tooth brushes, bath soap, etc., and of course tolit paper!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
What is TP?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Move to the beach, have fishing gear.
That's what is so good about the coastal areas; hunting and unlimited fishing.
Buy a desalinator and you have unlimited water too.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Don't forget Fruit Cake it will last forever. It has sugar, fruit. good stuff for ya. All most forgot it also has Rum. LOL

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Don't forget Fruit Cake it will last forever. It has sugar, fruit. good stuff for ya. All most forgot it also has Rum. LOL
i love fruitcake!

it keeps a long time and is calorie dense.. imho.. good survival food.. especially if it has nuts. protien, fats, simple and complex carbs.. more or less shelf stable with correct amount of sugar and preservatives if commercial.. or / and alcohol if home made.

wish i could eat more of it.. but health hit a snag a couple years ago and it's all but verboten for me.. :)

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Move to the beach, have fishing gear.
That's what is so good about the coastal areas; hunting and unlimited fishing.
Buy a desalinator and you have unlimited water too.
i agree.. coast or a lake with fish.

water.. food.. etc.. if a lake / fresh water.. it will be a place wild game may come to drink.. so that affords trapping and hunting opportunities as well.

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
OP, I don't know what brand it was, but I can tell you that some of the Wise food entres taste like crap right out of the box

In my opinon, Mountain House is much better tasting than Wise

Before you go using hand warmers, just look at the O2 absorbers you can buy with the Mylar bags. I think for the price, and the sizes offered they are more handy than using hand warmers.

A tip for packing up foods like bulk pasta, you need to double bag some of the pasta because I had some of the bags draw down so tight that the pasta poked a hole in them and I had to start over

You can buy things like oatmeal, wheat based cereals, beans, nuts and rice and seal them in Mylar. Once they are in Mylar there is no need for a further hermetic seal in your secondary container, like a plastic 5 gallon bucket.

A secondary container, like a bucket protects against vermon like mice and makes the food inside easier to stack and inventory.

I just bought standard 5 gal pails with lids that you hammer on, but I didn't buy any of the fancy lids that they sell and I wouldn't unless I was putting bulk, unpackaged food like rice or corn directly in the pail for long term storage

just my 2 cents:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts