Bad Day Today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jonb32248, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

One thing to consider is that the codes usually have multiple reasons that they can be thrown. Could be injectors are the most likely culprit, but a vacuum hose can make it do the same one. They usually give you the top 5 reasons when autozone reads it for you. Sometimes it takes a little more looking into the problem.

Guts3d and BlueDragonLair like this.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

I just put over $800 in my 2001 Silverado to get past the epa air test. I put $1000 in my daughters Nissan Marada also. Funny how companies can get off this. My work van had the service engine light on for 4 years.

I would just look for a new car. Get a cheaper car and end your problems. If you don't you better start learning how to do your own repairs. These old computer controlled cars can break you keeping them on the road.

3. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Yup. Just like every other discipline not all mechanics are the same. Had one fella, highly recommended, change the timing belt on my wife's 1997 Ford contour at about 70000 miles. Car ran fine but those timing belts need to be changed before there's a problem. He took his money and recommended we not keep the car too long as "they aren't long service vehicles".We kept the car as they had very positive reports. Just past 100000 miles she wasn't getting good mileage and was running a little rough. I wasn't always home because of work and needed the wife to have a dependable vehicle. Took it to the dealer, in a hurry as I was leaving town in a few days and needed to get it sorted out. They did all sorts of required things for a car with that mileage but I instructed them that the timing belt was only at 30000 so not needed. Long story short they found nothing major wrong EXCEPT the original timing belt was still in the engine, stretched, sloppy and ready to give up. After that the car ran fine, dependable for many years right up to the point in time my youngest step son wrecked it.....but that is another story:eek:
    A honest and competent mechanic is worth his weight in gold!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    gvw3, BlackEagle, jbmid1 and 2 others like this.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Sorry I can not help you out. The last time I did anything on a car I was going to do my own tune up. I went to the parts store for points, plugs, rotor and distributer cap. I just got a look from my friend behind the counter and was told that I should look under the hood because there is no distributer.:eek::oops:o_O
    I hate new cars. I was just talking to Todd and asked him what ever happened to the "Old motors"
    He just laughed and said "you are behind the times old man".:(
    Mike

5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Mike, i hate to say it, but maybe you should stick to what you do best , Firearm repair.;)

6. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

The good thing about those older vehicles is you could work on them:). The bad thing is if you had more than 30000 miles on it you needed to work on it:mad:

BlackEagle and goofy like this.
  7. jonb32248

jonb32248 Active Member

I was with him for some of it and the tests he did points to bad computer. I hear you though.

BlueDragonLair and dbcooper like this.
  8. jonb32248

jonb32248 Active Member

All the things you said to check he did. The filter was replaced, he listened to the injectors and found no sound. There wasn't any voltage at the time to the injector # 2. Plugs wires boots,etc. were replaced. Him and I rode around for 30 mi. I think and nothing. Then I took it to get gas and it came back. He put his hand held scanner on it and it did it randomly and then wiped out his data.

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Nothing to help your problem but a "check engine" light story. On 3 April, I game my little 2013 KIA RIO to my granddaughter for her 17th birthday. The friday before I had it serviced so I knew everything was ok. About a week later she called me and said that her "check engine" light came one and she didn't know what to do.

I asked her two questions 1) did you just fill up the gas tank? 2) did you leave the car running while filling it up? Her answer to both question was YESSIR. I told her not to worry about the light but next time she fills it up, be sure to turn the car off when filling up the tank and the light would go away.

A few days ago, she was over here and I asked her if the light was still on. She said ait went away after she filled the card up again and left the engine off. It seems that some newer cars get something like a vapor lock that causes the light to come on if filled up while running.

I knew about it because it had already happened to me, I called the service department at the dealership the first time it happened.

BlueDragonLair and BlackEagle like this.
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Our son services the wifes car at the dealership he works for. He cusses me every time because he does a system check each time. I leave the car running when I know he is going to pick it up. I do it because I know it'll throw a code about the gas cap.

BlueDragonLair and crystalphoto like this.
  11. tedwitt

tedwitt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would find that mechanic.

12. jonb32248

jonb32248 Active Member

UPDATE: Thanks to jbmid1, your advise on checking grounds was it. I ckd. the ground or negative connection on the battery and it was looseish . I tightened it and cleaned up the other wires on the same post. I drove it (hard) for 50 mi. and it never happened again. I pretty confident that was the problem. Thanks again.

13. JONWILL

JONWILL Active Member

I usually go to a place like "You Wrench It" for expensive parts. Saves quite a bit but not sure about the electronics. Especially the computer.

BlueDragonLair likes this.
  14. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

My nephew who has worked for HERTZ for many years diagnosis any and all problems
    with our 1998 NISSAN ALTIMA GXE...He admires how clean and what good shape that
    I keep our car...I leased the vehicle for the first 3 years for a business break as I had
    my drain cleaning service.. Liked the vehicle so much we kept it...don't do much
    driving any more and @ 101K miles just shows..in the 2004-05 periods made a number
    of trips to Grand Junction. CO. dealing with the wife's relatives health issues.. always garaged and very closely watched oil changes.. I have MIDAS locally change the oil and mechanically check stuff.
    Once they pointed out that the top of the radiator showed trouble...Bought a new one
    the "O-R" place and got an excellent veterans discount ...nephew changed it out for
    me...I can't ever remember having a faulty car or truck... Chief

15. BlueDragonLair

BlueDragonLair Well-Known Member

If I'm correct on 2005 you have individual Ignition Coil- Coil on Plug, Direct Fit instead of one big coil?
    If so, a quick check is pull wire harness from #2 and use socket size should be 8mm for one hold-down bolt.
    Relocate/swap Coil on Plug to another position that you have had no problem with.
    If problem occurs at #2's new location then just need a new one. A set should cost less than $45 to $50, if want just do one then about $15 but old rule one goes the rest will follow.
    If don't misfire at new location but #2 position with the transfered one still misfires like before then may be your injector it's self.
    Again, cheap fix is to run cleaner though tank of gas.
    If you decide pulling injector, possible clean or replace. This alot more involved by removing fuel pressure rail injectors and then remove one you think is bad. You can check once off with 12volt battery jumper wires. Use 50cc syringe adapted to injecter with tube to squrit gas through to see if partly clogged. If you can't clean with something like carb cleaner, iffy at best due to spray vs injector intake size.
    Replacement cost if do it yourself be abou $40 for one injector.

Again, Random thing, I'd check for any vaccum leaks. These things can cause all kinds problems. I had a 65 Chevy Biscayne that I loved! Little inline heavy-duty Inline 6. Dealership said needed new engine, a big shop said rebuild engine. Shadetree guy said crank her up, heald his hand on PVC hose, rev up and hold steady. Problem cured. Cost, he had no hose so wrapped in electrical tape charged 50 cents. Drove my puppy away sure he was nuts! Usually idle OK get on it and missing. Run her wide open all way to town with no let up. Drop by parts store bout $1 of new hose. Drove that baby til totaled in wreck.
    "Good Luck!"

***BTW: If I'm wrong about it being Direct Fit Coil to plug the be even easier replace. Just take 4 bolts out of coil box match new one up to same direction of old one and install. Then remove plug wire one at time from old coil and place same pattern as on old coil.

*****Saw after I hit post you found problem. "Congratulations!"
    I figured leave my post in case you have problem in future, alot cheaper than trading cars, these days!