Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Ballpark value of a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 30-06

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jay Monroe, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jay Monroe

jay Monroe Member

aaaaa

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 1:36 AM
    shootbrownelk likes this.
  2. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Asking prices are all over the place; less than $900 to through the roof. Had to guess, for yours I'd say somewhere between $1,000 to about $1,500. Not much help, but best I can do.

sharps4590 and shootbrownelk like this.

3. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I'd say around $1,000 around here. Maybe more, the old model 70 market is a bit soft nowadays. They're sky high on the auction sites, but few sell for the asking prices and most have been for sale forever.

pdkfishing and CCHolderinMaine like this.
  4. tango1niner

tango1niner Well-Known Member

Anything other than a bone stock M 70 generally has less value. I'm thinking the recoil pad not to be original. The stock finish has some issues as you mentioned. The original rear sight and elevator are MIA. The Lyman rear sight (while very nice) most likely required a small notch be cut into the stock in order to mount. The metal has some bluing loss, but on a positive note, I saw no rust. I'm thinking about $800 - $1000 if you can find an interested buyer. $700 may be a more realistic number for what it will sell for. The Model 70 is a nice rifle affectionately known to many as
    a "Rifleman's Rifle".

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    ysacres, sharps4590 and shootbrownelk like this.
  5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

The major issue with the stock is the after-market recoil pad. Collectors do not like to see these on rifles like yours. Sometimes good original stocks do come up for sale. If it were mine (and I was going to sell it) I'd seek out a good original pre-64 stock and original rear sight. You will get more money that way. As is a prospective buyer will talk you down considerably in price.

6. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't pay the money they get for them. You can get a brand new rifle in the same cartridge for less and it will last a lifetime depending on care. But for you, it was your dad's! Shouldn't it go to a grandson?If that does not matter, then it's worth every penny you think it is. But then again it's not worth anymore than you can get for it. Now there's an answer that doesn't seem to answer anything. Put one of those high price tags on it and see how long it takes to sell it. Better yet, keep it in the family!

7. jay Monroe

jay Monroe Member

aaaaa

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 1:37 AM
  8. jay Monroe

jay Monroe Member

aaaaa

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 1:37 AM
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

A friend brought me his Dad's 1957 Model 70 Featherweight 30/06 to sell, after he had both shoulders worked on. His dad bought it new, with a then new Weaver K4 B60 mounted. That may have been some kind of option, because it seems to be a common scope on the Mod 70. His Dad put less that 40rnds through it, it's pretty much a new-older gun.
    I valued it at $1200. Said he would take $1000, and the buyer could have the Plano case with it. I put it up for $1000, and the highest lowball offer I got, was $800, if I delivered it 300 miles away. It's still sitting in my safe. I told him to keep it for his grandson.
    Post '64 Model 70's can't hold a candle to their predecessors for quality. When someone at Winchester got smart enough to re-introduce the "repro" pre-64, they almost had it. The bottom line is, there's a reason they call it the "Riflemans Rifle", and they don't make em anymore.

10. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Don't think I'm with you on this one, Trap. I've had both - and still have the newer one - so that should say something. My first was made about 1958, same caliber, barrel weight and stock as my newer one (1974). The finish on both looked the same. Only differences was the extractor claw on the older one and a screw that ran thru the stock to the underside of the rear sight base. The newer one fired better groups for me. The bolt on the newer one felt smoother than the Pre-64.

There was nothing "wrong" with the older rifle. It looked great and shot OK. A collector saw it and paid me 3 times what I'd paid for the 1974 model or had invested in the 1958 rifle. He was happy as a clam and so was I.

11. jay Monroe

jay Monroe Member

aaaaa.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 1:38 AM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.