Barnes X accuracy

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

MortenS
    (1/18/03 8:25:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Barnes X accuracy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all!
    I have been struggling to get decent accuracy with the X bullets in my 338 Win Mag. I have tried several different powders behind the bullets, but without any luck.
    The best load I found so far (I posted this load at the www.reloadersnest.com site, www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=71&Bullet=Barnes+X&LoadID=123 ), but still not getting anything better then 3” MAO.

Do you pro’s have any advices or suggestions I could try?
    What about the XLC bullet?

Morten

ImMrBill
    (1/18/03 9:32:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Barnes X accuracy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Morten,
    How's the rifle with other brands of bullets? Wondering if the rifle might need some tuning.
    Have you tried different free bore lengths, seating depths? Have you check your cartridges concentricity?

Just a couple thoughts that came to mind.

I never did find a good combination for them in my 7mm-08 and it was pretty expensive experimenting with them. So for premiums I now use Speer Grand Slams, Mag Tips and Rem Cor-loks. I've found a few Barnes originals that behave well too.
    Bill

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/18/03 11:22:00 pm)
    See my answer to this same question over on The Firearms Entusiasts board.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

MortenS
    (1/19/03 12:27:36 am)
    It seems like it is only this brand that gives me poor accuracy. The rifle itself (Browning A-bolt, Zeiss 3-12x56 in EAW mounts) shoots other 225 grs bullets with good accuracy (<1.00” at 100 yards).
    Some of the best (accuracy) bullets this rifle shoots are the Swift bullets. A 3 shoot group would nicely measure around 0.50” at 100 yards.

I have been advised from several reloaders, that I should try to increase the off land distance. Now it is closer to 0.01”. Maybe closer to 0.05” would be better.