Barrel Break-In

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 5:00:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All New barrel break in..........
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What is the proper way to break in a barrel ? 7mm-08.

Is it really necessary for the hunter......... I'm not a competion shooter but I want to do it right..................

thanks abolt

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 5:43:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: New barrel break in..........
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IMHO, its a toss-up on a hunting rifle. But, here is how I do it.

First--run a wet patch of your favorite--Hoppe's, Sweets, etc., then run a dry patch. For the first 10 shots, clean (I MEAN REALLY CLEAN) after each shot, quality brush(not stainless steel) soaked with solvent 20-25 passes each way, then 2 wet patches,then dry patch after each shot.
    3 shots, then clean again as above,3 shots and clean again,then the last 4 shots and clean again. As far as I am concerned you are done.

From then on, I clean after every 9 shots(I only shoot 3 shot groups), I shoot 1 fouling shot after each cleaning before I shoot any more groups.

Before I go on a hunt I always shoot 1 fouling shot in a clean barrel, I don't clean again until the season is over or I have my limit on legal animals--whichever comes first.

Everyone has their own way of doing this, my system has worked for me over the years. Good hunting/shooting.

........................Ol' John....................

NRA - TSRA - LIFE MEMBER - CUSTOM RIFLESMITH

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 6:23:08 pm)
    Thank you ol'john

I assume I can't zero in the new scope till i get to the three shoot round.....then only use the second and third for reference.......Letting the first shot be the fouling one....

thanks Jamie

Edited by: 270abolt at: 11/5/02 7:12:57 pm

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/6/02 10:25:17 am)
    Well, I use the 10 shot break-in to do the ROUGH sight adjustments to get it close to the desired point of impact. Then fine tune the sight in during the 3 shot groups. I pay close attention to where the 1st shot(fouling) hits after cleaning, then note where the next 2 impact. Most of the firearms I have fired put the first shot after cleaning at a different POI. Most, but not all. Each rifle is very definitely an individual...............Ol' John

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/6/02 2:17:50 pm)
    Thats exactly what I thought............

Thanks, abolt