The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a friend who has gotten a Mauser 71/84 rifle in 43 0r some call 11mm Mauser . The barrel is a smooth bore no rifling left in it , a sewer pipe . Finding a replacement is near impossible . Any ideas or options .

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Numrich is the only place that still lists a replacement barrel, and they are out of stock. Anything "usable" for these rifles, was bought up and used for the rifles in the movie "The Last Samurai". One could be made, "if" you could find a .446 bored barrel blank that long.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My suggested is parting it out and buying another with good rifling because some parts are out there . I gave him some parts . A barrel last time I saw one of them for sale was years ago and only once . Not sure the cost of getting a blank barrel made into a new barrel . I have no idea on rebarreling and even if possible to rerifle it to a new caliber or if would work . That stuff is above my head . I told him could help reload ammo and make brass but other then that I am no help what so ever !!!

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Reload round ball? "IF" you could find a blank to make another barrel, it would be cheaper to find another rifle. They were easy to find after the movie was done, and all in good shooting condition.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
You got me thinking about options, and a .410 conversion was one. Then I remembered, the Model 71 was a single shot, the 71/84 was a tube feed repeater. It has a funky cartridge lifter that was designed for that cartridge, and as far as i know, that's the only one it will feed.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct . I got a 71/84 and that funky lifter you have to like they say drive it like you stole it ! If you go nice and slow it doesn't work as good . Most of the time I just single load it when I shoot it .

·
Premium Member
14,583 Posts
.448 Brenneke slug mold?........ :giggle:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got a friend who has gotten a Mauser 71/84 rifle in 43 0r some call 11mm Mauser . The barrel is a smooth bore no rifling left in it , a sewer pipe . Finding a replacement is near impossible . Any ideas or options .
$150

1 - 9 of 9 Posts