The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what appears to be a 1795 Springfield or 1766 Charleville. No proof mark's on lock and none on the top of the barrel. I opened this under a different thread, but I have discovered some proof marks on the underside of the barrel. I am more confused.

I have been doing my research, but the most plausible theory I have is based on the crescent. This was made famous in the Fort Moultrie battle on Sullivan island, SC in 1776. If anyone has seen anything similar to this or might have thoughts I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't that the same picture you posted in this thread: Revolutionary muskets
Yes it is, unfortunately it is not getting any traction on that thread. I sent a private message to Grayrock Volunteer, but no reply. I am hoping to reach someone who might have some knowledge of the Moultrie Flag and if any barrels have the same marks. I have attempted to contact some local gun dealers in South Carolina as well, but no luck helping to identify. I have also reached out to the visitors center for Sullivan Island, but no response yet. This could be a wild goose chase and mean absolutely nothing, but it is the strongest lead I have had.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts