Barrel Swap 1917 Enfield Rifle

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rfawkes, Apr 8, 2009.

1. rfawkes

rfawkes New Member

I have a model 1917 Enfield made by Savage Arms under the Lend Lease Program to England during WW II. These were made in 303 caliber and in 30.06. My 303 barrel is shot out, and I was wondering if I could swap the barrel for a 1917 model 30.06 without extensive rework?

2. koginam

koginam New Member

I have seen that done many times but you will have to index the barrel for the extractor and set the headspace, the bolt faces are different as well but you can switch to another bolt since you will need to headspace anyway.
    You would probably be better off with a new barrel.

3. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Had a friend just do that. He swapped the bolt as previously stated

4. Mark

Mark New Member

I don't think Savage was tooled up to make the pattern 14 or pattern 17 enfields. I know for sure they made SMLE rifles for the brits but these rifles won't handle a 30-06. Too long of a cartridge.

What am I missing?
    Mark

5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Mark,

I with you on this one too. I don't think Savage made the pattern 14 or the 1917 rifle. They did make a version of the SMLE though didn't they? Remington and Winchester were the contractors on the P14 and the 1917 rifles. Best regards, Kirk