The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Gents & Dames,
I inherited a Barrington & Richardson revolver from my Father. I remember him telling me that it was a rare gun and that it was a .32 caliber. It is a top break, nickel plated gun. I have scoured it and there are only 2 sets of markings. One set is on the cylinder. The cylinder is auto-ejecting. Both on the cylinder and the ejector is marked 129. The other marking is on the top of the barrel where the B&R Arms marking, Worchester MA and the patent date of Oct 12h (near as I can tell), 1887. The gun is a bit loose at the hinge. I am thinking of having it tightened up, but I want to be sure that modern rounds can be fired in it first. Given my description, what can ya tell me about this pistol and if I am safe to put modern 32 ammo in it? Thanks very much in advance!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Now if it's truly Barrington & Richardson it's one I've never heard of and could be quite rare. However, if you look real closely at the barrel marking I think you will find it is a Harrington & Richardson which are quite common.
There is a chance that it could be a scarce model of H&R, but we will need more to go on to tell. (Like some pictures....)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If you are asking about the same general type of H&R 32 revolver that most people ask about, it is a very common gun. Without more information (preferably pictures) we can't tell you if it was made for modern (smokeless powder) 32 S&W cartriges. It is NOT safe for 32 Auto cartridges in any case.

Shooting these things is like taking pictures with an old box camera - you can do it if you want to spend the money, but outside the novelty, there is not much point to it.

Of course, I could be wrong if you have something out of the ordinary - H&R made a great many guns for a great many years.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
Just looking around the net a bit, $75 to $250, depending on condition.
And since you are having difficulty reading the letterring, it is probably closer to the low end of that range.

It is, indeed, a Harrington and Richardson, and could be BP only; don't shoot it.

Oil it up and hang it on the wall to remember your father by -
And buy a modern pistol to shoot.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
I am kinda puzzled, though, Seattlekev -
You asked about this same gun over 3 1/2 years ago, on this forum, and Bill Goforth answered you here:

Back then, though, you had it correctly identified as a Harrington and Richardson.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts