Barry is doing something good?!

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by bcj1755, Apr 19, 2009.

1. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

US boycotting, Iran starring, at UN racism meeting
    AP

By BRADLEY S. KLAPPER, Associated Press Writer Bradley S. Klapper, Associated Press Writer – 19 mins ago

GENEVA – The United Nations opens its first global racism conference in eight years on Monday with the U.S. and at least five other countries boycotting the event out of concern that Islamic countries will demand that in denounce Israel and ban criticism of Islam.

The administration of President Barack Obama, America's first black head of state, announced Saturday that it would boycott "with regret" the weeklong meeting in Geneva, which already is experiencing much of the bickering and political infighting that marred the 2001 conference in Durban, South Africa.

The Netherlands declared its boycott Sunday, while Australia, Canada, Israel and Italy already have said they would not attend.

"I would love to be involved in a useful conference that addressed continuing issues of racism and discrimination around the globe," Obama said in Trinidad on Sunday after attending the Summit of the Americas.

But he said the language of the U.N.'s draft declaration "raised a whole set of objectionable provisions" and risked a reprise of Durban, "which became a session through which folks expressed antagonism toward Israel in ways that were often times completely hypocritical and counterproductive."

"We expressed in the run-up to this conference our concerns that if you adopted all of the language from 2001, that's not something we can sign up for," Obama said.

Some European countries are still deciding whether to attend the U.N. conference.

U.N. spokesman Rupert Colville said Germany informed the global body on Sunday that it would boycott it. In Berlin, the German Foreign Ministry refused to confirm that, but said the government would announce its final decision on Sunday night.

Britain said it will send diplomats, despite concerns the meeting could become a forum for Holocaust denial or anti-Semitic attacks.

At the Vatican, Pope Benedict XVI said the conference is needed to eliminate racial intolerance around the world. Asia News, a Catholic news agency that is part of the missionary arm of the Vatican, said of the pope's comment: "The Holy See is distancing itself from the criticisms of some Western countries."

"I am shocked and deeply disappointed by the United States' decision not to attend," said U.N. human rights chief Navi Pillay, who is hosting the conference.

She conceded some countries were focusing solely on one or two issues to the detriment of the fight against intolerance, but said it is essential that the issue of racism be tackled globally.

The major sticking points regarding the proposed final U.N. declaration are its implied criticism of Israel and an attempt by Muslim governments to ban all criticism of Islam, Sharia law, the prophet Muhammad and other tenets of their faith.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad — who repeatedly has called for the destruction of Israel and denied the Holocaust — is slated to speak on the first day.

He arrived in Geneva on Sunday evening and was meeting President Hans-Rudolf Merz of Switzerland, the country which represents the diplomatic interests of the United States in the Islamic republic.

The pullout of Germany would be significant as it has played a leading role in U.N. anti-racism efforts as a result of its troubled historical legacy. In recent meetings, it has expressed dismay about some governments' attempts to downplay the significance of the Holocaust.

The bland U.N. draft statement does not mention Israel by name, but it reaffirms the Durban statement and its reference to the plight of Palestinians. That document was agreed after the United States and Israel had walked out over attempts to liken Zionism — the movement to establish a Jewish state in the Holy Land — to racism.

Israel and Jewish groups have lobbied hard against Western participation in the meeting, arguing that the presence alone of American and European negotiators would give legitimacy to what they fear could become an anti-Semitic gathering.

Still, after years of contentious preparations there appears little evidence to validate these fears. The statement of 2001 that is so contentious now was cheered in Israel at the time, as it recognized the Jewish state's right to security.

Regarding its boycott, the Obama administration said it could not endorse any statement that singled out Israel or included passages demanding a ban on language considered an "incitement" of religious hatred. Such calls "run counter to the U.S. commitment to unfettered free speech," said State Department spokesman Robert Wood.

Many Muslim nations want curbs to free speech to prevent insults to Islam they claim have proliferated since the terrorist attacks in the United States on Sept. 11, 2001. They cite the 2005 cartoons of Muhammad published by a Danish newspaper that sparked riots in the Muslim world.

European countries also have criticized the meeting for focusing heavily on the West and ignoring problems of racism and intolerance in the developing world.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090419/ap_on_re_eu/un_un_racism_conference

Barry is actually publicly standing up in support of Israel and in defiance of Muslims wanting to make it illegal to critize Islam?! I'm shocked that he would do so. If this is actually true, then I finally have something good to say about Obama:eek::eek:

2. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

bcj....color me "surprised" as well...and cautiously pleased. I'll give credit where it's due in this decision...but I have to wonder about motive, for I still have NO trust of our ad'min.

Interesting...we'll see how their "commitment to unfettered free speech" plays out on our own soil as tea-partier types get more and more vocal...

3. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

I thought Obama woud jump on this one. Tea parties got him skittish?

4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Looks like Barry was correct about this:eek:

Ahmadinejad prompts walkout from U.N. racism summit
    Reuters

By Laura MacInnis Laura Macinnis – 1 hr 26 mins ago

GENEVA (Reuters) – Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad prompted a walkout from his speech to a U.N. racism summit on Monday when he accused Israel of establishing a "cruel and repressive racist regime" over the Palestinians.

The summit had already been badly undermined by a boycott by the United States and some of its major allies over concerns that it would be used as a platform for attacks against Israel.

The boycott left Ahmadinejad, who has in the past cast doubt on the Nazi Holocaust, as the only head of state in attendance. His speech produced the kind of language that the Western countries and Israel had feared.

"Following World War II they resorted to military aggressions to make an entire nation homeless under the pretext of Jewish suffering," Ahmadinejad told the conference, on the day that Jewish communities commemorate the Holocaust.

"And they sent migrants from Europe, the United States and mother parts of the world in order to establish a totally racist government in the occupied Palestine," he said, according to the official translation.

"And in fact, in compensation for the dire consequences of racism in Europe, they helped bring to power the most cruel and repressive racist regime in Palestine."

Dozens of diplomats in the audience promptly got up and left the hall for the duration of the speech.

"Such outrageous anti-Semitic remarks should have no place in a U.N. anti-racism forum," said British ambassador Peter Gooderham, whose country chose not to send a minister to Geneva.

Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store told the conference after Ahmadinejad had spoken that his words amounted to incitement to hatred. He said Iran had made itself the odd man out by undermining agreement on a conference declaration.

"Norway will not accept that the odd man out hijacks the collective efforts of the many," he said.

FEARS OF CONTROVERSY

Eight Western nations including the United States were avoiding the entire meeting, fearing it would be dominated by what U.S. President Barack Obama called "hypocritical and counterproductive" antagonism toward the Jewish state.

However, a number of the delegations that remained behind applauded Ahmadinejad's speech.

Arab and Muslim attempts to single out Israel for criticism had prompted the United States to walk out of the first U.N. summit on racism, in South Africa in 2001.

Although the declaration prepared for the follow-up conference does not refer explicitly to Israel or the Middle East, its first paragraph "reaffirms" a text adopted at the 2001 meeting which includes six paragraphs on those sensitive issues.

U.S. President Barack Obama, the first African-American leader of the United States, said on Saturday that Washington wanted a "clean start" to engage with the United Nations on the issues to be tackled at the meeting.

Rupert Colville, spokesman for Navi Pillay, the U.N. high commissioner for human rights who convened the meeting, said she deplored the language used by Ahmadinejad.

"This speech was completely inappropriate at a conference designed to nurture diversity and tolerance," he said.

Earlier Pillay had urged participants to do all they could to ensure the declaration is adopted at week's end.

She said this was necessary to restore confidence in the United Nations as a forum to address frictions that can explode into xenophobic attacks, as occurred in her native South Africa last year, when 62 foreigners were killed.

"We all should be mindful that a failure to agree on the way forward would negatively reverberate on the human rights agenda for years to come," Pillay said at the meeting's opening.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090420/ts_nm/us_racism_un

I seriously can't believe that Obama has grown a backbone about anything, much less this. He was correct in boycotting this conference. Well, even a stopped clock is right twice a day:p

5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I'll stop criticizing Islam voluntarily when the radical idiots stop strapping C4 to the chest because they want to spend time with 40 virgins in paradise. I mean, if it were 40 experienced women that may be a different story entirely. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I'll stop criticizing Islam when they stop blathering their crap that I have to convert or die, when they stop blowing up busloads of children, hospitals, schools, etc., AND when they stop saying Isreal has to be destroyed. But they won't ever do those three simple things, will they?:rolleyes:

7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Let's see -
    When would I stop criticizing Islam?

After due thought on the matter, I must conclude that I will never stop.
    They are wrong from the beginning, and if they change every thing they are wrong about, they will cease to be Islam.