BBQ is not a verb!

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by dbcooper, May 4, 2017.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't think I have ever eaten any BBQ in Alabama so I really don't have personal knowledge of what they might or might not have. I know when I owned a BBQ restaurant here in Athens, we offered a vinegar based sauce, I like a sweet tomato based sauce myself.

crystalphoto and carver like this.
  2. larryh1108

larryh1108 Member

North Caroina has the vinegar based sauce in the eastern part and the red/tomato based sauce in the western part. Here in the middle it's a toss up but I prefer the western style.

carver, dbcooper and crystalphoto like this.

3. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Me too, George, but I can get in the mood for the mustard based also...

carver and dbcooper like this.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yeah. It's called "tri tip" and they kill it on a grill :(.

carver, crystalphoto and dbcooper like this.
  5. PlanoAttorney

PlanoAttorney Well-Known Member

Where does the mustard based BBQ sauce originate? Just asking, it is sold in my local Kroger as South Carolina Style, but until finding it on the shelf, only place I ever had it was at the Salt Lick south of Austin, Texas (where there is a huge german influence). When I was in S. Carolina the (Beaufort area) the sauce was vinegar and apple cider based, definitely not what Kroger calls S.C. style, but I sort of like it (may my Momma forgive me), though I grew up near Memphis and that sweet tangy tomato and molasses based sauce will always be my favorite.

carver and crystalphoto like this.
  6. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mustard base is South Carolina's more popular sauce... not sure who started the vinegar sauce... maybe someone that ran out of mustard... or ketchup... or anything with taste...

carver and dbcooper like this.
  7. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

My daughter is getting to where she'll eat anything with barbecue sauce on it. And if there are ribs, it's advisable to stay out of her way... I'd say I'm doing this parenting thing right :D

8. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

Chicken Comer, a black man in Phenix City, AL, came up with a recipe that includes both mustard and vinegar. He smoked his meat on an open pit every day. I call this a sopping sauce. They would cover a plate of chopped pork with the sauce using a homemade mop. You would get 4 slices of white bread to sop up the extra sauce in the plate. Of course you could get different size plates, which included more bread. The only sides you could get was a bag of chips and a soft drink. The BBQ was TOO GOOD to waste times on sides.

Folks would come from long distances to eat at his place. I saw people bring in gallon glass jugs and have them filled with meat then sauce to take home because it would be a few weeks before they could get back..

His place was a shotgun house divided down the middle by a wall. Whites ate on the left and blacks ate on the right. It was segregated like that until some time after 1971 when I went into the Navy.
    Chicken Comer.gif

Chicken Comer Bottle.gif

crystalphoto and carver like this.
  9. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I like a good TX style BBQ sauce, served on the side. I don't mind if the meat is basted with the sauce while still on the smoker. The heat form the smoker will dry it out. I don't want wet smoked meat.

dbcooper and crystalphoto like this.
  10. Clipper

Clipper Well-Known Member

Gee, I must be a rebel, I don't use sauce on my meats when I eat...I want to taste meats..not sauce. I do serve the sauces with the different meats, but not on my plate...

carver likes this.
  11. PlanoAttorney

PlanoAttorney Well-Known Member

It goes without saying that if the meat is not smoked right, no amount or flavor of sauce can cure the problem - and I never sauce the meat on the smoker, I just use a dry rub and smoke (though I do brine turkey and rub it with olive oil - beef and pork just get rub). I do however serve and enjoy sauce on my BBQ.

Now that Tuckerd1 has educated me on the origins of mustard based sauce I may have to have some of Chicken Comers shipped to me.

tuckerd1, carver and dbcooper like this.
  12. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

It is worth a try. May not be to everyone's taste, but it sure is good to me.