The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have 8 pounds of BE-86 and I'm wanting to tryout out on some
44mag but the Alliant site only has one load 11.8 grains, so checked 44 spl
and it runs from 6.6--8.1 grains. so I'm thinking of splitting the difference between
the 2 and start at 7.7 grains ... oh 240g rnfp lead cast.
am I thinking this right.. still new to this reloading

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
so I have 8 pounds of BE-86 and I'm wanting to tryout out on some
44mag but the Alliant site only has one load 11.8 grains, so checked 44 spl
and it runs from 6.6--8.1 grains. so I'm thinking of splitting the difference between
the 2 and start at 7.7 grains ... oh 240g rnfp lead cast.
am I thinking this right.. still new to this reloading
Yep,a handloader...I do the same,I would start at 7.7grs......I don't start low.after 30+yrs,waste of time...If using a new powder-start in exact middle.go from there,velocity does'nt matter,accuracy does.About the only thing I DON'T DO is mix powders,not going there.A LOT of cartridges would NOT exist except for some crazy SOB saying "screw it,wonder if this will work".

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep,a handloader...I do the same,I would start at 7.7grs......I don't start low.after 30+yrs,waste of time...If using a new powder-start in exact middle.go from there,velocity does'nt matter,accuracy does.About the only thing I DON'T DO is mix powders,not going there.A LOT of cartridges would NOT exist except for some crazy SOB saying "screw it,wonder if this will work".
yeah these are going to be coming out of a Henry 44mag so I'll need a little oomph behind them but not so much that I'll be tearing my shoulder up, I have a few hundred rounds of buffalo bore to do that.
thats for the reply guys

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think that, for most purposes, if you find reloading data for Unique, you can reduce it by 5-6%, and you'll have a safe (perhaps way under-powered) starting load for BE-86. In MY experience with it, in .357 Mag, .45 ACP & .45 Colt (higher than SAAMI spec.) loads, BE-86 behaves like a slightly slower-burning, better metering, cleaner-burning Unique. On the burning rate scale, I'd rate it as about midway between Unique and Herco, at equal (or nearly so) pressures.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so I loaded them up to 9.3 grains of the BE-86 and I can say these rounds worked perfectly for plinking
target loads, just enough oomph to remind you it was a 44mag but not so much that it wore out your shoulder.
I made a 100 rounds and shot all 100 and my shoulder feels fine ( for having arthritis and bursitis in it )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts