Bead-Blasting

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

mthunter
    (4/16/02 10:06:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All beadblasting
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am planning to do some beadblasting on my handgun, and I would like to know what type of beadblasting material would be best to do this with? I will beadblast then parkerize if this helps.
    Thank You

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/16/02 10:17:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: beadblasting
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Depends on the type of handgun and how coarse a finish you want. For an interesting effect on 1911 frames, blast the frontstrap with #60-100 grit and the remainder with #270 plus.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

mthunter
    (4/17/02 6:04:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: beadblasting
    I am planning on doing a 1911 pistol, and I didn't realize that there was different grits of material. What I want to end up with is a dull finish. Any general grit to get this result?

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/18/02 12:16:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: beadblasting
    The coarser the grit, the coarser the finish. Using 60-grit and a heavy hand can obliterate markings. Best go with 270-grit. Like all metal finishes, preparation is the key. Parkerizing is fairly forgiving but can get streaky if the metal is not thoroughly cleaned or if the temp fluctuates too much.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

mthunter
    (4/18/02 9:47:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: beadblasting
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.