The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yall, long time since being on here! Anywho, we've had a lot of grizzly activity in our housing area this spring (Grand Teton National Park). One incident involved a bear trying to push through a back door with my coworker's wife and two young kids inside. That particular bear has since been put down. But I'm still left wondering how to handle a bear home invasion - pretty sure of how to handle one in the woods(bear spray to create space, then draw pistol and aim for the head if needed), but with everybody sleeping in separate bedrooms I do rack my brain trying to figure out how to handle a bear inside our house. I know they're strong enough to break through most exterior doors, so the all-glass backdoor would be a cinch for one. Any ideas on how to best handle such an incident?

·
GUNZILLA
7,360 Posts
A friend of mine who lives in Alaska uses 12V batteries with jumper cables and connects them to a wire fence type grid that he places on the front and back door on the floor or door step. Where ever the bear will walk. So when it walks on the wire he gets zapped.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
First rule in bear country is don't give them a reason to be on your porch/patio/deck in the first place. Bird feeders, trash, BBQ pits, etc., etc. If a bear gets in the house, no rifle is too big. Obviously I don't know your situation as to how many are in your household and how critical over penetration is so, that's up to you.

We never had griz in Star Valley, not that they weren't capable of getting there. If you camped up the Grays or any of its tribs you better keep a clean camp.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
for me? my mossberg 500 loaded with a full mag of 3" slugs. handy! very handy! this would be close work, i would want max energy loads. i can still work the slide as fast as a autoloader, maybe faster. a dog for all the right reasons is a good help too!
all the above. keep them outside is still best.

rick

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
When I lived up N. (Log cabin community on Bearfort Ridge) right on the NY/NJ line. (Literally could throw a rock from my back door into NY State.) A bear pushed in the back door on a cabin 5 doors down. The Female and kids ran out the front door as he was coming in the back door.

After I left, a couple years later, the first Bear fatality in NJ occured on the Appalachian Trail on the ridge behind my house. Bear were everywhere. Lot's of up close and personal encounters, way too frequent. Parked in the woods in my back driveway and would have my head on a swivel at night coming in to the house.

They are super quiet with those big padded feet. Saw the biggest Black bear I have ever seen outside of a Zoo near my house. Had to be 650-700#. Just Huge. Smart too. Myself and a neighbor watched a big un' overcome the new "Bear Proof" trash containers we were required to buy. (Screw down lid) Bear ambled up, swatted it over on it's side, and then just layed on it. Popped right open.

We would have barrel traps in our area on a regular basis, from DEC. We were supposedly the last wooded corridor they could transit from PA traveling up into NY State.

We have a problem bear in our neighborhood where I live now. (About 250-300#) Getting up on peoples decks/porches. Destroying peoples sheds. My next door neighbor does not help by having multiple birdfeeders out and scattering corn.

Me? I've got a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag & a Ruger .44mag semi-auto Carbine. (Or) I've got various shotguns scattered about with 00 buck or 4 buck. I'm a super light sleeper, and I've got Buddy always on guard.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Hi yall, long time since being on here! Anywho, we've had a lot of grizzly activity in our housing area this spring (Grand Teton National Park). One incident involved a bear trying to push through a back door with my coworker's wife and two young kids inside. That particular bear has since been put down. But I'm still left wondering how to handle a bear home invasion - pretty sure of how to handle one in the woods(bear spray to create space, then draw pistol and aim for the head if needed), but with everybody sleeping in separate bedrooms I do rack my brain trying to figure out how to handle a bear inside our house. I know they're strong enough to break through most exterior doors, so the all-glass backdoor would be a cinch for one. Any ideas on how to best handle such an incident?
The first thing is to get the Feds to drop the ban on hunting griz outside of Yellowstone.

I grew up in Alaska including 4 years at the top of O'Malley Road in Anchorage in the 1960’s. We had over 10 miles of woods behind our house with Lynx and moose near us. But we never had any issues with bears and never once had any on our property.

That same area is now bear city with all kinds of issues with bears.

Bears learn where men are a danger to them and any bear in a yard in the 60’s would be shot on sight or hunted down

Anchorage has gone full woke on bears and treats people who bother the bears as the problem.

That is the number one issue with the bears of Anchorage and New Jersey, ignorant namby pamby bear policies within city limits and lack of effective hunting pressure.

Bears are smart and know when man is a danger or a food source. If the local population tolerates bear incursions, then you will have home invasions.

As far as defense, many trappers board up windows, nail doors shut and place bear mats by doors. That is plywood with nails sticking up. Probably illegal in city limits.

With the Bambi loving jet set crowd of Jackson Hole, get motion detector alarms and lights to alert you, place steal, security doors, Talk to the town commissioners to get bear patrols trained in aversion tactics.

If a bear gets in, or tries to break through a door, forget bear spray indoors, it will blind you quickly. Have a 12 ga with slugs or 45-70 by your bed loaded and put the bear down. That is the only thing bears understand in the end and that is the only thing that will change their behavior.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Good to GREAT dog preferably a adult large breed! Between noise and such hopefully the bear will get the message. Plus will give your family most times a bit of warning that something is wrong. Don't know about you but if problem arises I like to be awakened before problem is already in the house.

·
Premium Member
8,527 Posts
HERE ON THE long Beach Peninsula in WA we have Black Bear (WDFW says we have at least 1 Adult Black bear per evey 2 sq miles. Before we moved to the City of Long Beach, we would have bears in our back yard and on trash day the bears know it. I got to where I would wait to put my trash out when I heard the Trash Truck, or I would load up the pick-up bed with trash, I would take the trash of the retired nurse that lived next door.

We don't have the bear problem here but the Cougar is seen occasionally and the Yotes travel through the neighborhood a couple times a month. Y have the 12ga pumpgun loaded with 00 buck or slugs.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If bears breaking in were a possibility Id have layers of warning. Driveway alarms could perhaps be used at the outer perimeter, set high enough that only big animals would trigger it. Back it up with motion sensor lights and of course a couple smart pooches are alway a plus. A dog that goes nuts over a squirrel or sparrow isn’t as useful as a dog that will let you know something substantial is a foot. I wonder if bear spray could be utilized in some instances to get him off the porch, through a open window, mail slot......? Of course a 12 gauge with slugs as the last wall of defense.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Smart people don't have sliding glass doors nor even doors with glass in them,,,,,,,,from someone that made a LOT of money replacing/repairing said doors.Criminals and animals love them.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
ID and WY had planned Grizzly hunts in 2018, but the FEDS put that to an end in court and on appeal. They say that the grizzly population is NOT growing for the last 20 years and is only expanding because of climate change. Wow, they will never allow a hunt if that is part of their legal tactics.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Smart people don't have sliding glass doors nor even doors with glass in them,,,,,,,,from someone that made a LOT of money replacing/repairing said doors.Criminals and animals love them.
I hear you zant. The genius former owner of my house, put glass included doors in the front and the back here on my house. (But) Breaking glass and coming in would be like ringing the dinner bell for Buddy. 🤔😂😨🤕

I've been tempted to put signage up on my doors that says "Don't break in unless you think you can outrun my Pit Bull. (And) That ain't happening."

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
ID and WY had planned Grizzly hunts in 2018, but the FEDS put that to an end in court and on appeal. They say that the grizzly population is NOT growing for the last 20 years and is only expanding because of climate change. Wow, they will never allow a hunt if that is part of their legal tactics.

Wyoming's hunt was shut down by a leftist Federal Judge in Montana (go figure) that was appointed by none other than our old pal Barry Obama. How a Judge in Montana can nullify a legal hunt in Wyoming is a mystery to me, but there it is. I applied for a license to hunt Grizzly that year. He was a bunny hugger leftist Judge that was cherry-picked by anti hunting groups and an Indian tribe. I guess Biological science doesn't matter, it's all emotionally driven rulings handed down by a democratic judge who doesn't know a Grizzly from a Chipmunk. We got screwed and If I remember correctly, 3 or maybe 4 people were killed by Grizzlies in the couple years since.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm with yall on pretty much everything - where we live though is Park housing, so I'm not really able to change out the glass door to our back yard. I think that federal judge should go camping in this area, honestly. And yes, we keep everything put up. We can get in reprimanded/disciplined if we don't, so that's never been a problem in our house at least. Strangely, the folks down in Jackson are all about protecting grizzlies - until one wanders into their back yard....

I'm currently putting back for a pistol that will stay either on me or by the bed. I've settled on a 5" M&P .40 after a lot of thought/conversation/YouTube videos - I figure 16 FMJ .40 rounds will do more to put down a bear than five rounds from a .500 S&W.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I'm with yall on pretty much everything - where we live though is Park housing, so I'm not really able to change out the glass door to our back yard. I think that federal judge should go camping in this area, honestly. And yes, we keep everything put up. We can get in reprimanded/disciplined if we don't, so that's never been a problem in our house at least. Strangely, the folks down in Jackson are all about protecting grizzlies - until one wanders into their back yard....

I'm currently putting back for a pistol that will stay either on me or by the bed. I've settled on a 5" M&P .40 after a lot of thought/conversation/YouTube videos - I figure 16 FMJ .40 rounds will do more to put down a bear than five rounds from a .500 S&W.
Glad you are considering guns close to you, but not sure a 400 ft-lbs weapon is more effective than a 2600 ft-lbs weapon.

Just sayin.

If I was at risk of Grizzly, my Marlin 444 would be by my bedside next to my .45, .40 and .357. But the .444 would be the first choice with hearing protection.

As far as glass sliding doors, we have a steel security gate on our back door. We actually took the sliding glass door out and put a standard double foor in the same frame.

My wife loves opening the doors to air the house out and still have a sense of security.
IMG_2852.JPG

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Attack dogs is what you need if you have the risk of bears invading a home. Here are two of the best.

Reactions: flboots
1 - 19 of 19 Posts