The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Here at TFF
33,446 Posts
No way I'd sell that pistol for $500.

I haven't kept up with pricing on those old pistols but the last one I sold years ago brought $800.

If you really want to sell it, do it on an online auction starting at $1000 and see where it goes. You may be surprised.

You could even start your auction at $800 and I'll bet it sells for more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I work part time in a gun store and have collected Colt 1911's for years. A WWI Colt that has not been refinished will sell for $1200 to $2000 or more, depending on how much original finish it has. Anyone who says that your gun is only worth $500 is either misinformed or is trying to screw you out of it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wouldn't sell it, period. But thats me. Thats a great piece of history, don't discount history when selling. It only adds to the value in many cases.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Yep - and sadly it's way out of my price range.

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
I have one just like it that has some mis matched parts in it but looks identical to yours and I know I can get 800 for it. You should be able to get a grand for yours and maybe more.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yardbird, I am not sure what your question is. Is your friend looking to buy a 45 caliber 1911? If so, it is difficult to find someone asking as little as $500, at least in my neck of the woods, even for off-brand 1911s like Norinco's.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gee guys ...Thanks for all the good advise. guess I am just as confused as I was. First All I am an old WWII guy(mid 80s), with not much time left. legs are shot now use a walker..so no gun shows, been out of touch many years. this is my oldest 45 ..just about 50 years, and is has peformed ok. I have 3 others all better looking than her. Thanks..Roy

·
Banned
5,419 Posts
I have one just like it that has some mis matched parts in it but looks identical to yours and I know I can get 800 for it. You should be able to get a grand for yours and maybe more.
I had to check out Beater .45, kind of has the same ring as "old Camaro SS".

Well I'm no FFL guy but I'm glad I never sold my older guns and can kick myself on deals I passed up.

At $500 you will have a line of people who want a shot at that gun.
(yes I imagine you can get way more...especially if it fires at all)

·
Registered
25 Posts
The inspectors initials on your .45 are from Gilbert H. Stewart, who was the government inspector at Colt from 1915~1918. The serial number is hard for me to read, but it looks like it is in the 219000 range which would place the production date to late 1917-early 1918.

Too bad the US Property markings were removed by Bubba, as that severely impacts the value. Can't these idiots figure out that the serial number would still place it as a government gun? Nevertheless, I would still give it a value of around $700-800 in todays market.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.