Beaver hunting!?!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Rich in Lincoln
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/5/02 6:43:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Beaver hunting!?!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you guys ever been Beaver hunting?

We in the Sacramento delta have a bumper crop of the bucktooth rodents! It’s more fun than one should be allowed to have! Kind of like coon hunting.

This is how we hunt them in Sac:

1st you have to be in the zone were spotlighting is OK for furbearers.
    2nd you do it from a small boat (I use a crawdad or a small V hull).
    3 rd you shoot them with a bow!
    4th at the time of the shot, the boat must not be powered by the motor!

Now most of your shots are within 20 yards, but they don’t want to be shot and swim in the opposite direction of the flow of the water and dive to avoid you. You have to be pretty quick! When you do shoot them you have to net them or they may sink.

You might ask why do you want to try and shoot a little beaver, well they aren’t little by any means! Most are around 40lbs but I bagged on in the 90lbs class last winter. The biggest on I saw shot was 125lbs! The fur is unbelievably dense and soft. And you can get quite a large rug out of one!

The only thing I had trouble with was talking my wife into believing beaver hunting with the guys all night was on the up and up! I told my wife that this was the kind of beaver with the flat tails and the buckteeth; she informed me that discretion fit my last girl friend.

Happy hunting!
    -Rich

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/5/02 9:57:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Beaver hunting!?!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We do it in the spring around here. BEaver hides don't prime until very late winter or spring and are worth the most then. When the water is high and they are flooded out of their dens it is easy pickens. Put up our own hides and sell them at the fur auction in Canada. haven't been out in a couple years for shooting beaver. Quit it about the time my dad stopped trapping them.

Beaver meat beats the heck out of beef any day. There are a ton of old time recipes for it. TENDER like you won't believe
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Rich in Lincoln
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/6/02 11:18:50 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Beaver hunting!?!

I was looking at a book at Barns & Noble on cooking game and it had an old resipy for beaver tail. It was a delicacy about 100 years back.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/6/02 8:48:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Beaver hunting!?!
    Still is. Most old trappers know about it. I like just the regular body meat. Makes the best stews or steaks or whatever.
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Rich in Lincoln
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/8/02 1:07:39 am)
    Ya now, that’s one thing I miss! I learned to trap in a 4H class in up state NY. They taught us how to properly set up a trap and how to skin. Now that I live in CA I have to leave the state for that kind of fun. CA a couple of years ago outlawed most trapping. They put it before the people to vote on (same with Mountain Lions) and now only select DFG can trap. Oh well CA is a whole other subject…

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/8/02 5:13:13 pm)
    Kalifornie isn't the only state to ban traps. The tree and bunny huggers got leghold traps banned here in Arizona a few years back - said their poor pet Snuggums and Snookums MIGHT step in them when out for walks (right - as if poodles and snausers go for walks in the woods. Coyotes would have them in a New York minute!). Enough idiots went along with them. Vermin and varmits are taking over the state now - poor antelope fawns and does are being eaten as the doe gives birth, so the antelope populations are in a nose dive.

thumbuster
    (6/14/02 4:47:02 pm)
    Here in Maine it is illegal to shoot or even molest any beaver (the kind that builds dams). If you have beaver on your property that is causing damage, you can't take his dam out without special permission from a warden. The state is running wild with them mostly because there is no price on fur these days and not as many people are trapping.

Just my 2 cents worth.