Before and After

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/14/02 10:31:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Before and After
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This was my very first rebluing job so I picked something I couldn't hurt much. The gun was blued using Outters bluing that I picked up from Wal-Mart. Seems like I'm always taking an after photo but never a before photo so I decided to change things. WOW what a difference.

Before

Before

Making parts

Sanding

Still sanding....

I'm done....

Edited by: Flhunter at: 1/14/02 10:42:43 pm

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/14/02 10:42:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Job well done!!!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Boy you sure turned that into a fine looking handgun!!

What kind of gun is that?? I've saw one that looked kinda like it at a gun shop close to my house. I wouldn't mind having it if I could make it look as good as you did yours !!!!!!!

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/15/02 8:45:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Job well done!!!!!!!
    NICE... VERY FREAKIN' NICE. I'm impressed... it looks better than new

Xracer
    (1/15/02 8:51:32 am)
    Very nice!

Shane....it's an S&W Safety Hammer.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/15/02 3:35:57 pm)
    xracer, I wish it was a S&W but for my first try at bluing I did not want to take a chance on ruining such a fine firearm. I choose instead an Iver Johnsons. It is like you said a model saftey hammer. I nearly wore my fingers off trying to sand down and smooth out all the rust pits. It was alot of work, but I gave it my best shot and took the time and care to do it as if it was a S&W. I knew though that no matter how it turned out it is still only a $50(if I'm lucky) pistol.

gun runner john
    (1/16/02 7:45:46 pm)
    It may only be a $50 revolver, but it's a fine looking one! How many hours do you estimate that it took to make it look like that? I've always been curious about bluing, but I've never tried it.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/19/02 3:13:55 am)
    gun runner john, Can I answer your question with "Too many!".
    The pistol was in really bad shape when I started the project. I started off with a pad of steel wool in my hand only to find out that it was not enough in some spots. So next I tried 220 grit sand paper. Again not enough. I found out only after 2 or 3 hours that 100 grit paper was needed to sand out the rust pits. Then from there I went back down to 220 then to 3xx something and then finaly steel wool. I almost decided not to blue it casue it looked so pretty and different all polished up. Anyways I'm sure on a firearm not in such bad shape the process goes much faster plus it was also my first time so I took it slow. I would have to guess that it took about 30 hrs to get it blued. I'm sure someone with more experence or using a different bluing method can do it much quicker. I have another one I'm gonna blue, but I'm gonna try a different method on it. I've heard procrastinator talk of brownells bake on mehod and even seen a firearm he did. It came out looking really nice. Anyways I'm gonna go a different route on the next one just so I can compare the difference.

Zigzag2
    (1/19/02 8:11:40 am)
    Flhunter, I commend you on your bluing job. You obviously take you work seriously. I would like to know how well the gun's markings were left intact.
    I'd like to say, what you've shared with us inspires me to try it myself.

gun runner john
    (1/19/02 11:01:15 am)
    Well, 30 hours on a $50 gun makes this a labor of love, that's for sure! It did turn out real nice, but I don't think I want to spend that kind of time on a job like that...

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/19/02 2:33:35 pm)
    zigzag, The only real markings on this Iver Johnsons was between the fron and rear site. Luckly all that was needed to remove the blue/brown was steel wool so there wasn't to much if any loss in the markings. The places where the serial numbers were at were hiddin from normal touching(under the grips, on the trigger housing that went inside the frame and under the cylinder.) Again as luck would have it all great spots with no loss. Now if this was a S&W with the emblem on the side of the frame it would have looked like a weak stamp.
    On the triggerand hammer I left some pits in as I was scared to take it down too much(I did not know if these were just case hardened parts), but them pits sure do shine now though. LOL
    I figured if I'm gonna practice and learn how to blue, I'm gonna do it right and put an honest effort into it. At least to the best of my abilities.

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/19/02 11:58:18 pm)
    50 dollar gun or not you did a great job. Keep us posted on your next gun. I've got a H&R that I think I may try to do. If it turns out half as good as yours did I'll be pleased!!!!!

Doctor Xring
    (1/20/02 8:02:00 pm)
    I really doubt if one Ulysses Grant will
    pry that pistol out of your hand now

good job, DXR